DS misled by Job Centre?

(10 Posts)
ByTheSea Mon 22-Jun-15 12:56:00

DS1-19 (my stepson who I raised) has had a rough time over the last several years but really wants to get back on track after making some serious mistakes during his adolescence. He is not an academic person and left secondary school without good qualifications, however, was halfway through a level 3 course in Health and Fitness when he got derailed with some legal problems and spent some time in jail. In jail, he had got a prison job and kept his nose clean and behaved impeccably. He is now out and doing everything under the sun to comply with all requirements and make a fresh start towards a legal and successful life.

He spent two weeks looking for a job at the local Job Centre when he was offered an interview at a fairly local Aggregate Company. The job was to be 'erecting fence panels'. He eagerly accepted the job and they told him he needed to start the next day but needed a hardhat, steel-toed boots and a high-visibility jacket. They promised him that this was a proper full-time job and he was looking to getting great work experience, staying awhile to build up his CV and possible make a career for himself in this line of work.

DH and I took him straight to B&Q and furnished him with the requisite supplies as well as some work gloves and overalls. His bicycle was not great either so we bought him a bike as well as it is a 5-mile bike ride to the job, which started at 7am each weekday morning.

He was so happy to be working and told us that his first job there was cleaning up the wreckage from a fire the company had experienced and that he also got to erect put some fence panels together and deliver them with one of the older workmen. I am sure he worked hard and well.

Well, he got there this morning and they told him that now that the wreckage from the fire had been cleared up, they no longer needed him and let him go (along with another young man they had hired at the same time). He is, of course, upset. The work had been tiring, hard and dirty but he loved being a working man and was looking forward to earning a regular income.

I feel like the Job Centre and the company misrepresented the job. Did the company misuse the Job Centre in being a conduit for temporary casual labour? If not, shouldn't the information that it was casual, temporary labour have been disclosed? Also, we were able to buy the required items DS needed to do the work, but how fair is it to insist someone buys these supplies for four days work? How is anyone less advantaged than he is supposed to be able to get into the workforce? I am sooooo annoyed and feel so badly for DS. Arrrggghhh!

ByTheSea Tue 23-Jun-15 17:28:36

Anyone?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Jun-15 17:32:21

I'd be furious. I have no idea of the legalities of it but Id certainly be informing the job centre and pointing out that your DS is out of pocket after buying the equipment. I think companies have to provide such equipment so they may be breaking the law?

capsium Tue 23-Jun-15 17:34:26

It doesn't sound fair at all but the best thing to do IMO is move on and not dwell on the negatives of this. He has the safety clothing and bike now which will help him regarding other job opportunities and a reference. Hopefully the next job will be better.

MissDexter Tue 23-Jun-15 18:23:13

Did he have a contract?

ByTheSea Wed 24-Jun-15 07:15:27

Thanks for the responses. He is moving on and will learn from this. They had told him he would be paid fortnightly as if they were keeping him on but on reflection, he did not sign a contract. That said, it is good that he now has the bike and equipment.

Ubik1 Wed 24-Jun-15 07:19:38

Yup this is familiar.

Relatives - young men - promised permanent jobs and 'let go' after a few weeks, 'training' courses worse than useless. It's a massive scam.

I hope he doesn't get too disheartened.

TheGirlFromIpanema Wed 24-Jun-15 07:21:12

In reality a contract is useless if they want to get rid of someone so soon. You have few rights until you are employed for 2 continuous years.

There are no reasons why companies can't act like this, and shockingly, the tories want to make it even easier for employers to get rid of people hmm

The jobcentre are a shower of shite imho.We placed a job ad with them at the start of the year and they blatantly misinformed lots of hopeful prospective candidates re experience etc.

Stinkersmum Wed 24-Jun-15 07:22:42

Could he ask them for a reference for future jobs?

LineRunner Wed 24-Jun-15 07:29:36

And it also means that when he reclaims JSA, he doesn't get any money for the first 7 days (again). So he has lost out twice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now