new job - worries or not?

(14 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Wed 17-Jun-15 11:38:30

I've recently started a new job (been there 3 weeks now) but it was one of those with only one interview (they offered the job to me on the spot) and so far no job description either (but I know what to do).

The company merged with another company in April so they're finding their feet.

My old job I was there 5 years and did literally everything from reception to typing (legal secretary), I was also paid badly as it was my first legal job. I was also bullied for approx. 2 years there by the other legal sec there and her friend who temped for us.

Please can someone tell me that it's ok to be a bit nervous/bored/apprehensive about what's happening?!

Ellypoo Wed 17-Jun-15 13:25:00

What is happening? I don't think it's that unusual to not have a job description - is that the only problem?

When you say nervous/bored/apprehensive - what is the problem? What do you feel nervous/apprehensive about? Bored is different - do you not have enough to do, or is the work itself boring?

Unexpected Wed 17-Jun-15 15:11:48

As the other poster said, what IS happening? Something which is giving you concern or just general new-girl nerves?

SuperFlyHigh Wed 17-Jun-15 16:50:57

I think it's just general new girl nerves.

It is a bit boring as they're recruiting new legal staff (trying to get me to do that!) so I only work for one man right now.

But I can't leave or think of leaving after less than a month can I?

blueshoes Wed 17-Jun-15 17:15:49

Does a legal secretary job need to have a job description? I don't think it is crucial and like you said, you know what to do anyway.

If you are bored, is it because you are only working for one boss or because you are bored with being a legal secretary in general? It looks like things are still in flux because of the merger and things are likely to change anyway.

Why are you thinking of leaving after one month. That is NOT normal and goes beyond new girl nerves. Something most be troubling you but you are not really doing a good job of describing it. I am not seeing any red flags. If you had to resign tomorrow, what would you give as the reason?

SuperFlyHigh Wed 17-Jun-15 17:23:07

blueshoes

It isn't crucial you're right the job description.

I just have far less to do which in a way is good (I was doing EVERYTHING in the last role!).

To be honest so far someone yelled at me and swore the first week (I immediately brought this up with someone else and said I was not happy), I also saw by mistake (I was checking boss' emails as he was on the holiday the next week) an email from same person who yelled and swore badly criticising my performance which of course upset me.

So the above are the red flags. I've since been told she will be spoken to or has been spoken to and I should bring this up with HR.

If I had to leave I guess bad fit?

IrenetheQuaint Wed 17-Jun-15 17:23:24

Do you have a contract?

SuperFlyHigh Wed 17-Jun-15 20:55:17

irene yes had a contract and signed and returned it.

Maybe it's a bad start and things will get better. It's a 6 month probation period though.

blueshoes Wed 17-Jun-15 23:11:00

Yes, that person swearing at you and strongly criticising you in an email is a red flag. You should not have to deal with that whilst you are still new in the job and learning the ropes. How the company deals with it now is telling. Have you tried raising it with HR? If not, the other tactic whilst you are still on probation is to do some discreet sounding out of your colleagues about this person and figure out how much influence this person wields.

I got chewed up in a conf call by quite a senior person within the first few months of my joining a new law firm. I had that moment where I thought "Shit - what have I done joining this firm - big mistake!" But then I was told that I was not the only one he did it to (not an answer) and someone senior did eventually end up talking to him after 6 months of my chasing.

It is too early to resign. I think you need to give it at least a few months to find out the lay of the land and the culture of the firm before resigning. It is not easy to be the new kid on the block.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 19-Jun-15 09:24:01

blueshoes I think this has been dealt with. I did raise it with HR and the MD came to speak to me about it (he likes to know his staff and knows this woman can be 'a character' to put it lightly. I also found out afterwards that her mum had died 6 months ago and she'd said she was going to resign after the takeover (in April this year), but of course this has nothing to do with me! She's been super nice and polite to me afterwards. She wields a bit of power as a conveyancer but isn't a qualified solicitor and she is 'replaceable'. she screams and swears at her boss (my colleague, my boss) but also within earshot of client area so she is 'a liabilty'.

Like I may have said I've worked since I was 17, PA since I was 25 and Legal Sec for past 5 years.

It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one with tales like this!

My backup plan is to study payroll, HR, spend 2 years at this job and then be office manager for architects firm (where I'd been before for 6 years as PA).

ToodleooAndPeekaboo Fri 19-Jun-15 09:36:21

I'd not jump ship until you have somewhere else to go, whatever the case. It sounds like the unpleasant conveyancer has been dealt with quickly and effectively which is a good sign.

I think you need to do the job with good grace until you decide what to do. You sound a bit peeved at being asked to help with recruiting legal staff, but surely if you don't have much to do, putting all hands to the pump makes sense while the company is going through a major change? If you want to get into HR surely this is experience you want to have.

Your attitude doesn't sound great to be honest, I know you are nervous and being shouted at in the first week isn't ideal, but I wonder if your resistance to the job is coming over to other people.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 19-Jun-15 10:05:09

Toodleoo

I don't intend to leave just yet.

I wasn't overly nervous just that in the first week there was no training at all and I really wasn't sure what to do or where things went (re letters etc). However I did my best and in fact got complimented on it.

I actually don't mind helping to recruit new staff only it's hard as not many legal profs want to come to where we are which is not central London. In fact I've emailed contacts on Linked In, spoken to a recruiter friend of mine and helped where I could there.

I'm not resistant to the job at all just having not much work every day to do is not great. I don't like how it must look bad to others if I'm not working (I've offered to help to do other tasks). Also like I said before I was in a job where I did everything and I mean everything, I think I need to get used to that changing now whereas my job responsibilities are far less but where to hone my skills and focus on improving more now.

blueshoes Fri 19-Jun-15 10:48:00

Sounds like you are itching for more responsibility and like to be busy. I think your plan to learn more skills before jumping ship to a office manager role is a good one. At least you are not so busy at work that you could not fit this in. If it helps, just see this as a stop gap role. The difficult conveyancer does not sound serious as it has been dealt with.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 19-Jun-15 11:18:57

blueshoes you've got it spot on! I don't mind so much re the responsibility but I've been used to that in my last job... to be honest I was an office manager there really... but most architects firms now want payroll and/or HR skills but the HR is hard to get a qualification etc in unless you do the proper certification route. Also you don't really need much as most arch firms will prob want interview skills etc which I already have with interviewing staff etc. the more serious stuff they outsource.

I have some other plans but they're more related to something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now