Job dilemma - please help!(10 Posts)
Okay, so I know this is a pretty lucky situation to be in in any case. I am currently employed and I have been offered another job, and I have to choose between my current position and the new job offered.
The thing is, it is a really difficult decision! I work in quite a specific field, and both jobs are in this field.
The job where I am currently is permanent; decent salary; and likelihood of being promoted to manager within 6 months to a year. I basically get to run things in my area and get to put my name on all of my projects without any major interference.
However; it's a small company, and there is no one there I can 'learn' from and no real chances for development (training, conferences...) In terms of company benefits it offers only the statutory minimum for everything; from absolute minimum of leave to no pension scheme etc.
Additionally people there are friendly but there is absolutely no socialising with colleagues and some really weird company behaviour. Longer term I would definitely want to move (in another 6 months I would definitely actively start looking!) & I wouldn't want to have kids whilst working there.
The job I am being offered is fixed term; salary 2 grand lower initially, rising to the salary I am currently on after a few months. It is a newly created position, fixed term for 12 months - with a likelihood that if the post holder performs well that they will either extend it or upgrade it - but absolutely no guarantees. Budget issues mean that they just don't know.
However; the organisation is much more impressive and the role more challenging. There are people there I could learn from, it is public sector and has all the best public sector benefits (great leave, pension scheme) and to boot they are offering to pay for a professional qualification to try to coax me into accepting the role.
Also, if they found out they didn't have the budget to continue the role permanently, they would know with enough time to give me two or three months to look for another job. They have been very honest and up front about all of this.
So obviously it would seem mental to give up a permanent contract at a (slightly) better salary with chance of promotion for an uncertain position. But what if it is a risk that could pay off? I would be in a better organisation, with much, much better employee benefits.
I am still quite young (26) but am considering things like kids as well for the future.
Sorry, I know this is a novel. Could someone please please tell me what they think?
If you are likely to be able to get another job in your specialised sector if the fixed term contract is not extended, I would go for it!
(though of course that is me and not your,and depends on your personal risk appetite)
I think I'd go for the new job in this position. Getting into the public sector at this stage in your career will be hugely valuable - you'll have access to much better training and development, can build up a decent pension pot and if kids might be on the cards any time in the next decade you'll have an excellent maternity package. Obviously there's the risk it might not be permanent but I know 3 people whose public sector careers started with serial short term contracts and maternity cover and eventually got a permanent position - it can take time to get there but if you work hard and achieve good results then opportunities have a habit of popping up at the end of each short contract.
Adriane - it's likely I would get one, if one was available! It is a small sector. Doing a search now I can find about 9 jobs that I could maybe get, but none in my city and 8 of them would require moving across the country!
FishWithABicylce - true. Unfortunately I have also been in a position where I was on a permanent contract in the public sector and had to leave within a year due to restructuring... It can go either way even if you work your ass off which I guess sometimes the bizarre thing is about the public sector...
If you get promoted to manager, would that give you significantly more options when looking for other jobs? (hard to know without knowing the job sector, you see). If so, I'd stay put and then find a better job than both.
You've got to look long-term if you're trying to consider kids in this
cigarsofthepharaoh - yes, it would probably. But I guess the thing I am trying to weigh here is the manager in a small, less impressive organisation vs. a executive role in a more impressive public-sector organisation.
Management experience is great, but on the other hand, I do still have a lot to learn and no one to learn form, nor any real access to training / resources. I wonder if it may become obvious at other interviews that I am not at manager level despite having the title.
I am worried that it's hard to give more details without outing myself!
I would go for the new job but push for more money. If they want you, they should at least match your current salary but ideally more.
I worry that joining an employer on less money sets a bad precedent....they might always have that in the back of their mind at payrise time etc 'She isn't that worried about money'.
Ask for Â£5k more and see what they say? I hate to say it but I am sure that is what most men would do which is a sweeping generalisation I know.
At 26 I'd go for the potential.
My DH has gone to another job on less money and longer commute for experience that was lacking in his current role And it worked out really well.
The move you mention is a very sensible strategic move, and the value/cost of the qualification they are offering is probably on par with the salary you'd be losing? The additional experience will be great, and from the sounds of it you wouldn't be content staying as manager anyway.
If you can manage for a short while without work if the 12 month contract isn't extended, definitely go for it. You can always keep an eye out for something more permanent and I wish I'd taken more risks earlier in my career.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.