Interview/presentation - on maternity leave - really nervous

(3 Posts)
YellowPirate Sun 24-May-15 13:16:32

Hi,

I have an interview next week. I'm just coming up to the end of my maternity leave and the new job would be fewer hours and closer to our families, so I really really want it but I'm terrified!

I'm not getting much sleep and my brain has turned to mush. I've not worked in nearly a year so any examples of my work aren't fresh in my mind. My job was getting really stressful before I went on ml and they kept dragging me onto other projects so my experience of the career I'm trained in is even less recent.

I've prepared a presentation as requested - I'm quite good at PowerPoint but rubbish at public speaking at the best of times and I don't think I can do it without reading it off. Sometimes I even forget the words of things I'm so tired!

I'm worried about making a fool of myself. I have to talk about a piece of recently completed work, but having been on ml and then with the problems before it's years since I did anything relevant. I'm struggling to find the time to read through old work and reports, as well as finish the presentation, with a 9 month old and a husband that works nights so sleeps in the day.

Has anyone got any tips? The job looks brilliant and doing the presentation has made me realise how interesting it would be, as well as being better hours and in a good location. I also don't know whether to mention maternity leave if it comes up - for example if they ask me what I'm working on at the moment. It would be easier to just say it instead of trying to cover it up. And,as it's a job share they'll be expecting people with young families to apply I should think. (I suspect the job share partner has asked for flexible working).

Any tips?

Yx

AnotherEmma Sun 24-May-15 13:27:07

Definitely be honest about the fact that you've been on maternity leave.
Can you get some help with childcare to give your some uninterrupted time for preparation? I'm sure that would help.
If you take some time to remind yourself of what you achieved in your last job (which I'm sure is more than you think right now!) you can focus on that in the interview and that will help you feel and come across more confident.

AnotherEmma Sun 24-May-15 13:29:17

Also try and turn things into positives, for example the fact that your previous employer asked you to work on lots of extra projects showed that they valued your contribution and wanted to give you more responsibility. Translate "stressful" into "managed a demanding workload" and talk about your time management skills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now