Job interview Microsoft test

(5 Posts)
shrunkenhead Tue 19-May-15 11:41:34

I have a job interview coming up which I'm naturally scared about anyway but also I have been told it includes a "basic Microsoft office test" so now I'm REALLY scared! Any ideas as to what this might involve or what I should brush up on?? I've considered phoning them to check which system they're using but worried they might expect more from me. I can use Word and fill in columns/rows/cells on Excel but no idea how to merge/wrap/cc emails etc I'm tempted just to not bother going.... I was hoping to just get through the interview and bluff that I was a bit rusty on computers but keen to train up etc etc.

glitteryflange Tue 19-May-15 11:46:45

You tube has lots of basic word and excel tutorials.

good luck!

Also try and find out if it's 2003,2007 or 2010 word.

shrunkenhead Tue 19-May-15 12:04:10

Thanks Glittery, will have a look on there. Think I may need to phone to find out which version.... It will also give them the chance to tellme " oh when we say" basic" we mean can you open Word andcloseit again? "

EBearhug Wed 20-May-15 23:23:53

Do you know which versions of Office will be used? Second to that, which versions have you used? If you haven't used the newer ones with ribbons, that can take a bit of getting used to - it's all the same stuff, just moved round, and it does take a little time to find out where one or two things are now located. It's definitely looking at some tutorials on that, if you haven't used them, just so you've got a bit of familiarity.

The other thing is to know how to use the help function - it's okay to say something like, "I don't have much experience [don't admit you've never touched it at all] with mail merge, but this is how I'd find out how to do it, and I'm a quick learner, so I'd be up to speed quickly."

Go to the interview anyway - it will be good practice, and if you have another interview in the future with a "basic Office test", you'll have a bit more idea about what's involved.

Good luck!

shrunkenhead Sat 23-May-15 21:04:15

Ebearhug no I don't know which version so I may phone them on Tues to check. No idea what a ribbon is! Eek! I have 2010. A friend has offered to talk me through some stuff on sat...just wish I knew what they're going to ask me! I was hoping to play the "Oh not seen this version/I'm a bit rusty but I'm happy to learn/fast learner/come in for free training day" etc etc card!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now