Help first month in a new job and dc unwell

(5 Posts)
Yesyesanamechange Tue 05-May-15 08:15:48

This is my first month in my new job and today dd woke up at 5am complaining of a tummy ache and sore throat. She had a temperature and is not pulling a fast one.

She can't go to school today as they will call me. Only problem is that on Thursday other dc was poorly at school and I had a call to go and collect her so had to leave work.

So this will be second time in under a week. I have no one else to ask am a lone parent. Can I lose my job over this? I'm really worried, what do I do?

Roxie85 Tue 05-May-15 12:53:33

I don't know the answer to this but I really feel for you.
Best thing might be to speak with your hr manager and find out their policy on things like this.
Most places do recognise that if you have children there might be times when you are not in work but how it's dealt with I expect varies and I don't know what the law is on it are.

bethalexander Tue 05-May-15 12:53:55

I've taken holiday before so as not to upset my boss. Its probably not right that I had to do that but better than losing my job.

MaryKatherine Tue 05-May-15 13:15:37

You are entitled to be off legally as it is to care for a sick child at short notice. I do see why you feel bad about it though. It is very hard for working mums...especially those of us without back up.
I am sure they will be fine about it. Is it a full time job? Could you make the hours up elsewhere?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 05-May-15 13:38:52

You are entitled to time of in an emergency to make arrangements for the care of dependants not actually to care for them. As a single parent myself I have used emergencies nannies when you get beyond the initial stage of sickness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now