NHS applying for lower band

(14 Posts)
Fluffybear86 Wed 29-Apr-15 22:19:31

Hello all. Hope you're all ok. I have posted before to ask for support /advice as I've been signed off with stress. I have applied for a job two bands lower but it's a job I have done a few years ago in a different setting. I get married in September and can't deal with the stress of current job and don't want to be unhappy when it should be a happy time! Only thing is I'm worrying already lol

1. I'll be down banding from a 7 to a 5. Although I think this is best for me I worry about questions people will ask and what they will say. I feel like I've let myself down !
2 I'm scared if I get the job they may refuse it as I'm off with stress although I'm due to go back end of month
3 I'm scared they won't give me time to go on honeymoon !

MagzFarquarson Wed 29-Apr-15 22:33:09

Been in an almost similar situation, couple of years ago. NHS also. What's the situation with your current post? Are they expecting you back on Friday?

Fluffybear86 Wed 29-Apr-15 22:43:16

I'm due back in three weeks so I imagine ive got time to be successful at an interview and can hopefully go back and work my notice. I've applied for 15+ jobs!! Work are aware of situation and have been supportive but it can't go on forever !

MagzFarquarson Wed 29-Apr-15 22:47:21

One of my colleagues downbanded from 8 to 6, returning to her favourite role as school nurse. There's no shame in it. The service line you work in would much rather keep you (they've trained you) and will be happy to look at your application for another post. Plus, you will be opening up an opportunity for someone to 'advance'. You've let no-one down.

munchkinmaster Wed 29-Apr-15 22:50:54

I work a band lower than I used to. People the band above are working their arses off. I come in at 9 work ass off leave at 5 and take no work home. It was supposed to be a temp move but am sticking here till kids are older.

MagzFarquarson Wed 29-Apr-15 22:51:28

Plus, regarding your honeymoon, I believe they have to honour your annual leave entitlement? can't say for certain as ours is April 01 to March 31

frikadela01 Wed 29-Apr-15 22:54:34

I've worked with loads of nurses who've risen up the ranks to management then moved back to being staff nurses. No shame whatsoever.

MagzFarquarson Wed 29-Apr-15 22:56:53

yes, munchkin but your lowering of responsibility is reflected in your lower pay. We all have that choice, don't we?

fridayfreedom Wed 29-Apr-15 22:57:35

With all the changes and pressures in the nhs I know quite a few people who have downgraded back to clinical roles from middle manager roles. Still stressful but different pressures.
you need to look after yourself and reduce your stress.
Anybody worth their salt will not look down on you for this.

munchkinmaster Wed 29-Apr-15 23:30:48

frikadela I'm not sure I get your point. I work a band lower (and am paid less) to get the right work/life balance. It sounds almost as if you are disagreeing with me?

munchkinmaster Wed 29-Apr-15 23:31:37

Oops it was magz who confused me not frikadela

MagzFarquarson Wed 29-Apr-15 23:52:43

No, not disagreeing at all. Quite the opposite! You've taken a cut in pay. That means you don't have the same 'take work home' responsibility as colleagues on higher bands. Sorry if I didn't get my point across properly.

meandjulio Thu 30-Apr-15 00:02:22

The day she gave me my band 6 job, my band 7 manager told me I had the job she wanted. I can see why, band 7 jobs are mostly really, really tough and I have no intention of going above band 6. Even in band 6 I've not really been sleeping for the last three weeks sad I really struggle without the level of support available to a band 5.

Things I loved about band 5: the frequency of management support; the primacy of clinical time; peer support from fellow band 5s; the constant learning. I'm not sure what it would be like to go back to band 5 as an experienced person, so yes, it needs to be the right job for you. Our band 5 jobs are now rotation posts which I wouldn't want.

MaryKatherine Wed 06-May-15 22:44:00

A lot of trusts these days are taking on band 5's but giving them the same workload of a band 6! They will slightly change the job description but it is a devious way of getting more for your money.
I am a 6 and have seen a rise in band 5's over the last 3-4 years who STAY as a 5 but still have to do the same as we do. Was chatting to the union guy (regional head) last week about it and they are aware of it (whether they do anything though under current state of the NHS)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now