DH Returning after a career break. Does he mention young family?

(8 Posts)
ColdCottage Mon 25-Aug-14 20:53:47

My DH and I left good, career jobs 4 years ago to take 6 months to travel before relocating on our return to the UK

Since then DH has had a couple of jobs liked to the industry he has developed his career in but neither worked out (the last one due to being over worked and treated badly, so he left).

He has spent the last 12 months working in a non related field to pay the bills while he looks to return to his career.

The perfect job has just come up. I think he should mention he has a you family as it shows he will be sticking around (not leaving to travel again and needs the money to support us). He thinks it may look like he will be heading home on the dot every night and might not put in the hours.

What do you suggest? TIA.

WidowWadman Mon 25-Aug-14 20:57:14

I wouldn't mention family unless asked. Has no relevance to his ability to do the job, so why bring it up?

susannahmoodie Mon 25-Aug-14 20:58:06

If he was female I would say don't mention it. Because he's a man I don't think it will make any difference.

agnesf Mon 25-Aug-14 21:01:20

I have mentioned family in job applications to explain why the last 10 years of my career consisted of a load of short term part time contracts. It puts a career history in context and if you put a positive spin on it - e.g. I'm looking for a permanent position as I'm now settled in with family and kids I don't think it will do any harm.

ColdCottage Mon 25-Aug-14 22:30:51

It's a shame it makes a difference if you are a woman. Although the law is changing so that maternity leave can be split as you want it after the first three months, I don't think as a woman I would include it.

I just think as a man a family is viewed very differently.

Hoppinggreen Wed 27-Aug-14 15:13:17

I think it's only worth mentioning a family whatever your gender if it's relevant to your application - so if you have had time out to be a sahp for example.
I agree with your DH

ArsenicyOldFace Sat 30-Aug-14 13:26:21

The only reason to mention it is if he has been a SAHD, as an entry in his CV chronology, eg; 2012-14 Full time parent.

He hasn't been doing that though, from your posts?

BackforGood Sat 30-Aug-14 13:39:12

Agree with others - it's got nothing to do with the job, and there isn't an 8 yr gap in his CV whilst he was a SAHP, so why would he mention it ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now