Need a full time job - what to retrain as?

(15 Posts)
artyanklet Thu 21-Aug-14 16:18:26

Basically I have 4 years to retrain whilst working part time (25 hrs a week) to get a full time job.

I am mid 40's, 'D'H has just left me after nearly 30 yrs.

I have some qualifications in childcare and have got Maths and English GCSE as I did them at night school. Plus the usual O levels.

I would like to change my direction in life, I honestly can't afford to give work up and study full time but I am prepared to work evenings,weekends and holidays. At present I work in a school as a TA. I don't know where to go or what to look for, one thing I do know is that I do not want to be a teacher!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

brokenhearted55a Thu 21-Aug-14 19:54:03

What do you like?

What inspires you?

artyanklet Fri 22-Aug-14 18:56:20

I love making things, cards sewing etc.

I just don't know where to start looking. I know I have a huge amount on my plate at the moment, what with separation, sale of house going through....

I know I have to do something, was hoping a new challenge would be good for me and have something to focus on.

FabULouse Mon 25-Aug-14 09:13:27

How about getting business admin and secretarial skills so that you can go for roles as a PA, secretary or admin assistant in any company that appeals to you, from local council to solicitors to charities.

Heels99 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:15:25

School business manager?

figgypuddings Mon 25-Aug-14 09:15:50

An art therapist?

Gumnast2014 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:18:31

Nurse? Occupational therapist

museumum Mon 25-Aug-14 09:19:02

Four years p/t study is tough - you NEED to choose something you love or are passionate about doing / being in future.
Don't make any snap decisions. Browse the OU website for ideas. Am I right in thinking you have no A levels or degree? If so, OU is a great option. Do you actually enjoy book study? Or do you want something more practical?

artyanklet Mon 25-Aug-14 18:10:44

I have no A levels or degree. I do have the NNEB which is probably non existent nowadays!

I also have Stage 1 and 2 in RSA typing. Did this as a way of getting out of the house a few yrs back but have not really touch typed since.

Will take a look at the OU courses.

Thanks to all the replies

Phineyj Mon 25-Aug-14 18:20:03

How numerate are you? AAT is an accountancy qualification you can do on the job (e.g. Employer pays) - you can do some starter courses online/distance I think. Good accounts people are rarely out of work and every business needs them, also charities, the arts etc.

madamemuddle Thu 28-Aug-14 17:04:12

Do not become a PA or Admin Assistant. Far too many candidates for too many candidates and workloads are a killer.

How about something within the NHS? You can start in something low level and train on the job for quite a few things.

madamemuddle Thu 28-Aug-14 17:07:00

Far too many candidates for too few jobs...

artyanklet Thu 28-Aug-14 20:10:33

Thank you, I will look into the NHS - I am a peoples person!

Southeastdweller Thu 28-Aug-14 22:08:26

It's not creative but how about counselling?

Twotallladies Thu 28-Aug-14 22:23:45

Art therapy?

BTW, OU can be very expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now