New job TA in school

(6 Posts)
peppajay Sat 16-Aug-14 09:32:26

I am starting a new job in September as a part time TA at a local primary school. However I am worried as I know very little about the position. I know am 1-1 with a child but no idea of the childs needs, year or any background info on them. I only found out what hours I am working at 310pm on the last day of term after several phone calls and e mails for further info. I have had no contract yet I have signed a letter to say I have accepted the post. I know it was all very last minute and it all happened at the end of term but the beginning of July end of term not the last week so I really expected to know more than I do. My letter of acceptance says I start on 1st September however one of my husbands colleagues wife works at the this school and she has just told me the school is totally closed that day and term starts with training days on the 2nd and 3rd and the children go back on the 4th. So now I have no idea when I start - just a bit worried now as seem to have accepted a job without knowing very much about it. My last 2 school jobs I have been given a lot of info about the children I have been supporting and really seem to know nothing here. Hoping I will be given more info when I start - the other thing that worries me slightly is at interview they said we are a school where you use your initiative and we expect you to get on with your daily tasks without waiting to be asked but now I wonder if this is way to say we give you little support!!! As a school it seems lovely is very small and friendly and got a lovely feel when I looked around just seems a bit disorganized and maybe a bit too relaxed. Anybody else have any experience of a school a bit like this??

flowery Sat 16-Aug-14 12:08:52

I would have expected candidates to be told this stuff at application stage, and any gaps to be filled in at interview. What did you know about the job before you decided to apply, and was nothing about the responsibilities covered at interview?

overthemill Sat 16-Aug-14 12:34:13

Your contract starts on 1 of month because that's what schools do even if it is closed. Training days you may be expected to come on some are relevant to TAs some aren't. If it's a laid back kind if school they may not realise how little they have told you. IME Heads will be around now at schools so why don't you call or pip in and ask for a bit more info (you could say ' I've thought of loads of questions about the job and the child and want to be prepared' they wil be pleased. ). Otherwise go with the flow. All schools are different. Good luck

Coolas Sat 16-Aug-14 12:52:38

Don't worry. The training days are there for you to be given all the info you need. It's up to the school to give you this. Email the school to ask the start day.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 17-Aug-14 00:14:43

Training day you'll be told everything and shown around. At ours for new TAs you shadow for 2 weeks before you're on your own. Not sure if different with primary but you'll always be working alongside the same class teacher I imagine so I'm sure they will show you the ropes. Congrats on yr new job.

auntpetunia Mon 18-Aug-14 12:35:19

I wouldn't worry too much you've got two days to find out everything you need to know. If you're worried then pop into school over the next few weeks people will be around. Or send an email asking for info. The end of term is hectic and 2 inset days will give them a sense of less to worry about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now