trainee hairdresser

(4 Posts)
anniepanniepears Fri 15-Aug-14 16:40:51

can anyone tell me what the norm is for a 17 year old training to be a hairdresser wages hours ect ,how long it takes to become fully trained.
as my dd wants to leave school and train to become a hairdresser

Ellypoo Wed 20-Aug-14 13:38:01

If she gets an apprenticeship (which is the best way with hairdressing as you need the experience) then the NMW rates apply https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates. The NVQ levels are 1, 2 & 3, and depending on the college or how she trains will affect how long it takes, but generally 1 year/level.

My DH has a salon and has just taken on an apprentice - he is doing the full training with the apprentice, and an assessor comes in every so often to check up on things. He pays the apprentice £80/week as he has been given a grant.

anniepanniepears Fri 22-Aug-14 16:30:13

thanks Elly, she has been offered an apprentice ship with the hairdresser training her with day release for college and assessor coming into the salon
didn't realise that the salon got a grant but seems reasonable

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 22-Aug-14 17:38:56

Apprentices should be paid at least the minimum apprentice wage currently £2.68 for a minimum of 30 hours per week working and then for their training time on top of this usually equivalent to a college day so at least 5 hours per week. This would given a minimum apprentice wage of £93.80 per week.
All of this is detailed here.
If the apprentice goes to college the business does not receive a grant and does have to pay the college fees. There is area variation in what grants are avaliable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now