Zero Hour Contract and Mat Pay? - please help!

(3 Posts)
lillamyy1 Tue 12-Aug-14 15:21:08

I've been working as a teacher at a private language school on a zero hour contract for 23 months. My working hours have varied during this time.
I've just found out I'm pregnant and want to know where I stand re. maternity leave... Any ideas?

I was actually looking for a new, better paid job when I fell pregnant and don't especially want to stay at this job as I think that if I had a better paid job I could save more before going on mat leave. But from what I understand I wouldn't be entitled to paid mat leave if I'm already pregnant when I start a new job - is this right?

Please help - I'm so confused! confused

flowery Tue 12-Aug-14 15:47:42

Assuming you are an employee rather than a casual worker, your statutory maternity pay will be calculated on your average earnings during the qualifying period, which is the 8 weeks period leading up to 15 weeks before your due date.

If you get another job and are already pregnant, you won't qualify for SMP, but should qualify for maternity allowance from the government, which is similar.

lillamyy1 Wed 13-Aug-14 18:54:47

Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now