can i be demoted for having repeated time off to care for my son in hospital

(3 Posts)
ncab20 Sun 06-Apr-14 00:33:12

i went back to work in january, in a role i had been promoted to before i was pregnant. as i returned to work my 10 month old son became unwell which resulted in 5 emergency admitions to crittical care between begining of jan to end of march, the first time i was given a weeks parental leave between training and stepping into m role, so the buissness was not effected as my cover continued to work. the rest of the 4 times i had to take 1-2 days off while he was in hospital ( my partner also took time off to look after him at home) this was over a 8 week period. I work in a call center as a coach for new comers. in the time i had to have off, the bussniess was not effected as all trainies who i was responcable for came in over target and passed training. on the last time he was in (he kept relapsing) i spent a full 48hrs in hospital with my son without sleep and went stright from there to work to be pulled into a meeting without notice tp say thet was changing my jobrole to a lesser role as an phone agent temporally due to the time off under the hours i currently worked. as i was not exspecting this i accepted and was told that this was not a demotion, just a change in role till things settled. The campagin i am now dailing for normaly works a rota which inclueds weekends and working till ten at night, but this wasnt a problem as i was told i would work the phones under my currnet hours. I was notifed last week by the sales manager, that she can not keep to the promises my boss had said and tht my boss needed to decided if i was part of the development team, if so i needed to return to my role as coach and if i was needed to contiune to on the phones then i would have to do so formaly which will include working the rota. since my last meeting with my boss, they have employed some one to take over my role. If i am demoted and put onto the rota then i will pushed out of a job as i cant commit to the rota( as well as my own son i have a resedentcy order for my neice and newphew and have to supervise there mums vistis on a weekend. I have a meeting on monday in which i will find out if i am remainingin my current role or if i am being formaly demoted due to time off to look after my son. do i have any legal ground on this, can they demote me fortime off even though it has not affected the bussiness? can they push me into a role i can not work? just to note, my little boy is now fine, and driving us all potty xx

LadyMaryLikesCake Sun 06-Apr-14 00:42:21

You might want to look at this and get in touch with ACAS. www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/your-rights

The contact number for ACAS is 08457 474 747

As far as I'm aware there's no qualifying period for this, so it doesn't matter if you've worked there for 2 days or 2 years. It's only for emergencies though, so not for scheduled hospital admissions, and it's only so that you can sort out alternative arrangements. They can't demote you just because you've needed to take time off to sort out a dependant.

yummumto3girls Sun 06-Apr-14 21:10:08

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad time with your son. If he is better now then there is no reason why you can't return to your original job?? Does your son have any ongoing issues? I'd suggest saying this at the meeting. What does your contract say, does it allow them to move you around, expect to change your hours? If not I would suggest they are on dodgy grounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now