Can I be fired at the end of my six month trial?

(11 Posts)
mameulah Sat 05-Apr-14 22:08:13

I am currently nearly at the end of my six month trial at a new job. I am doing okay but I just get the feeling my boss does not like me. How much notice does he have to give me and what rights do I have? Bearing in mind I have only worked for him for six months?

tia

flowery Sat 05-Apr-14 23:11:28

You are entitled to your contractual notice and that's about it. He can sack you if he likes, no problem, I'm afraid.

What notice period is in your contract?

Paddington68 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:13:10

generally your notice period will be a week. If he wants to let you go he can.

mameulah Sat 05-Apr-14 23:35:52

Can I ask for a reason? I think I am doing a good job. It doesn't feel like we hit it off and I get the feeling that is really his reason. Do I have grounds to complain if that is what happens?

flowery Sat 05-Apr-14 23:38:15

You can ask for a reason, although he doesn't have to give you one. And not hitting it off is a valid reason anyway. Your only protection this early on would be if he was firing you for being pregnant or something equally discriminatory.

mameulah Sat 05-Apr-14 23:41:26

Oh, so him picking up on small mistakes I have made would be a good enough reason?!! And his idea that we haven't hit it off. I thought perhaps I could have taken him to an industrial tribunal or something?

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 05-Apr-14 23:47:51

They have changed the rules for taking an employer to a tribunal, sadly, and working there for 6 months means that you wouldn't qualify as you need to have been there for longer (I think it's 12 months but I'm not 100% sure). The trial period is so that your employer (and you) can work out if you're right for each other, a bit like dating. Flower's right when she says that protection this early on would only be if he was firing you for being pregnant or something equally as discriminatory (so if you were disabled and he couldn't be arsed to make adjustments for you).

I've had a clash with a previous employer and have had to leave. It's unfair but there's nothing you can do about it. thanks

flowery Sat 05-Apr-14 23:55:10

He can dismiss you because he doesn't like the colour of your shirt if he likes I'm afraid. He doesn't need a reason.

You need two years' service to claim unfair dismissal, this was raised a couple of years ago from one year's service.

mameulah Sat 05-Apr-14 23:55:27

Thank you everyone.

LadyMaryLikesCake Sat 05-Apr-14 23:59:06

Thank you, flowery. I knew they had meddled with it.

Sorry, mameulah sad You'll find the right job for you, one where you're appreciated. I'm sure of that.

Hitchy83 Mon 07-Apr-14 16:10:48

As part of your probation period it would have been effective for your manager to have provided you with ongoing feedback if there were any issues so that you were aware and gave you opportunity to improve. Yes he can finish you at the end of the 6 months, but if he does I'd protest that instead of finishing you that you have an extension of your probation period where you can work on any if the issues. Is there a HR department that you can speak with before the end of your probation period who may be able to support you with this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now