Maternity Allowance and JSA

(7 Posts)
WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 08:07:34

I've searched and searched google but cant find what im looking for.

Im currently an agency worker in a school. I have a very strong feeling that my 'contract' will end not long after I tell them im pregnant. Even if they keep me there it will end july anyway.

I have checked and I already have worked 36 weeks since the start of my qualifying period.

My question is: If I claim JSA from July until im 29 weeks, then ESA would this affect my maternity allowance? I cant find the info anywhere. I have a feeling i'll have to call the Jobcentre to find out but was hoping someone on here would have some insight into it.

LIZS Sat 05-Apr-14 09:04:10

why would you claim ESA ? I think your MA might kick in if you cease JSA.

WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 09:07:01

I thought there was a gap in time between when jsa ceased and when maternity allowance would start. I'll double check that

WinterLover Sat 05-Apr-14 09:14:43

It appears I can't do simple maths atm.

Ignoring the ESA bit will the JSA affect maternity allowance?

LIZS Sat 05-Apr-14 09:21:12

don't think so assuming you meet the criteria for MA already but it is either/or not both. After baby arrives you may get IS/Universal credit but would take into account other household income from dh/dp for example.

Chunderella Sun 06-Apr-14 09:31:24

It shouldn't. My understanding is that you'd get JSA from the end of your current contract until 29 weeks when your MA kicks in. ESA is only applicable if you're medically unfit to work. You can't get an out of work benefit at the same time as MA. If you've worked 36 weeks since the start of your qualifying period, you should definitely be able to get MA.

WinterLover Sun 06-Apr-14 14:04:22

thanks. Direct gov says 26 weeks in the qualifying period which ive already done grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now