Raising a grievance as a senior manager

(8 Posts)
Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 16:12:04

Have any senior managers out there raised a grievance and had it not turn out as a disaster - both in addressing the issue at hand and not in irreparably breaking down relationships / your reputation within the business?

caroldecker Fri 04-Apr-14 17:30:45

Depends on the issue - the business will either side with you or the other person, then the loser will have to leave - possibly with a settlement.

flowery Fri 04-Apr-14 17:57:32

Honestly? It's pretty unusual.

Are you able to share what the issue is?

Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 18:14:17

Not really - it's a long winded thing that's come to a peak with a recent decision.

I suspect I'm going to have to suck it up tho as I don't want to leave the business - I suspect a grievance at my level would be a big step down that path.

I'm just raging at injustice - not made easier that I know that I'll (again) have to play the grown up in a less-than-functional working relationship....

flowery Fri 04-Apr-14 19:40:28

The thing is, the kind of problems senior managers have at work are not usually things that could or would be resolved with a grievance. Options are usually negotiating, politicking or leaving.

Blankiefan Fri 04-Apr-14 20:33:16

I'd have to agree. Politicking it is...

kazza446 Mon 07-Apr-14 14:25:39

I've just done it. It's not been the best of experiences. It looks like I'm having to go for settlement, absolutely gutted as it was s job I loved and worked around my childcare. Had no other alternative really as my grievances snowballed from 2 minor issues to a case of bullying and harassment and break down of trust and confidence

Shopgirl1 Tue 08-Apr-14 20:22:16

I've had to suck things up, wouldn't dream of pursuing grievance, my manager is the CEO where I work, it would be career suicide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now