ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Two interviews this week...trying to figure out if this is ok or a big no no!

(11 Posts)
TickleMyTitsTillFriday Tue 01-Apr-14 11:07:50

Help, I have an internal interview tomorrow and an external interview on Thursday.

The one on Thursday is the one I really want but I don't imagine I will hear from them until Friday.

If (by some miracle) I was offered the internal job tomorrow afternoon or Thursday, would it be bad form or ok to say I will let them know by Friday?

Or is it best to accept it and then withdraw if I (again, by some miracle) get the second job)

TIA smile

fascicle Tue 01-Apr-14 12:04:20

Have the internal and external interviewers suggested possible timescales for their decision making? It can take a while for decisions to be made/implemented (often more than a day or two). So I wouldn't rely on getting feedback from the external interview by Friday.

If you were offered the internal position quickly, you could thank them for their offer but ask for a few days to consider. Once you've had both interviews, you'll be in a better position to judge the suitability of each post and that might inform your response, if you are offered either/both positions. Another option would be to be upfront with either/both parties, if the need arises. Obviously you are best placed to consider the political implications of doing so.

All the best with your interviews.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Tue 01-Apr-14 12:25:55

Thanks. The internal one will probably decide same or next day. I have had an interview with the external onw before and got a call the following day so imagine I will hear on friday or monday.

I guess if they offer me the internal one I can say I will let them know but that feels so cheeky...

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 01-Apr-14 12:28:58

If you told them you also have an external interview, the internal interviewers might up any potential offer they were planning to make you in order to keep you.

Just a thought!

blueshoes Tue 01-Apr-14 12:48:55

I agree with Fascicle. You can tell the internal interviewer you want to think about it over the weekend.

My feeling is that the interview process always takes longer than expected and a few days is not going to make a difference.

fascicle Tue 01-Apr-14 13:09:56

I guess if they offer me the internal one I can say I will let them know but that feels so cheeky...

It's not unreasonable to want to consider an offer. There might be differences in the role or terms and conditions that could impact on other areas of your life, and might require some thought before a commitment is made! You could still receive the offer enthusiastically, whilst asking for time. Presumably they won't require you to sign on the dotted line there and then.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Tue 01-Apr-14 13:48:20

Thanks all. I will ask them to give me a bit of time to consider it. If I get either which would be a miracle because I'm super dooper shit at interviews!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Fri 04-Apr-14 21:38:31

I got the one I wanted! So happy smile

blueshoes Fri 04-Apr-14 22:29:18

Congrats! smile

fascicle Sat 05-Apr-14 08:05:39

Marvellous news (and you were right about hearing quickly).

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 05-Apr-14 12:24:49

Thanks grin

They told me i wouldn't hear until monday but rang me first cos they were worried I would take the other job!

Cant believe it cos I hate interviews but watched the amy cuddy power posing vid on youtube and thought sod it, lets do this thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now