Maternity leave- what does your employer offer?

(50 Posts)
puthyjip43 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:29:39

Just wondering what kind of parental leave package people get from their employer? Where I work, as long as you have been employed for over 12 months it is 6 months at full pay (can take this pro-rata over maximum 24 months off) and still be guaranteed your job when you return. For example I've taken 12 months off at 1/2 pay.
You can return to any part time hours you want with the option to revert to full time within one year of returning.

flowery Sat 29-Mar-14 13:36:40

Goodness that's generous, and unusual to be able to choose your hours on return and go back full time if you want later on.

JadedAngel Sat 29-Mar-14 13:40:14

How very sensible. Those sort of terms would have kept me in employment rather than going self-employed. Instead, a large high street bank lost a very experienced PR consultant from running its press office.

puthyjip43 Sat 29-Mar-14 13:40:40

It is generous but I didn't realise this until recently, having never had to look into this sort of thing before.
Problem is i want to look for another job, I'm worried I won't find one with such a perk, hence wondering what other employers offer..

Beanymonster Sat 29-Mar-14 13:43:08

The very basic they have to give at my old workplace.. 6 weeks at 90% pay (I think?!) then the rest of the 9months at 135 a week, then an additional 3 months unpaid at the end if you want.. 'Twas rubbish and why I'm thankful I a SAHM this time round!

Nojustalurker Sat 29-Mar-14 13:47:21

4 weeks full pay, then 2 weeks at 90%, then 12 weeks at 50%, 21 weeks at smp and then nothing for the next 13 weeks.

I believe this is the legal minimum?

I am a teacher btw.

Mrswellyboot Sat 29-Mar-14 13:53:05

Six months full pay then another four months unpaid.

Can take up to five years career break

RubyrooUK Sat 29-Mar-14 13:54:49

90% for six weeks then SMP.

I've had two babies and know nobody in the private sector who has had anything but statutory. The only people I know with better deals are public sector and BBC.

JustAboutAdeqeuate Sat 29-Mar-14 13:56:37

Police officers get 18 weeks full pay then SMP.

Pretty good, except police staff get 30 weeks full pay.

learnasyougo Sat 29-Mar-14 14:05:56

statutory minimum: 6 weeks at 90%, then £135 for 33 weeks, then 3 months at £0.

Our annual household income this year is going to be £7.8k. I'm reeeeally hoping tax credits can help us keep our heads avove water.

flowery Sat 29-Mar-14 14:11:19

Interesting that you didn't realise it was especially generous OP, and that Nojustalurker thought her enhanced package was the legal minimum.

I wonder how common that is? Perhaps employers who invest in good enhanced packages for their staff aren't reaping the staff retention and employee satisfaction results they are hoping for!

I get the basic stat entitlement. I sort of wished it were more but tbh if it was enhanced, id feel pressure to return or pay it back.

the OPs arrangement sounds really good.

EllaMenOhPea Sat 29-Mar-14 14:15:06

JustAbout

Are you sure? Not in where I am - police staff get 6 weeks at 90%, 12 weeks at half pay and SMP then just SMP until 39 weeks then zero pay for last 3 months. You also have to pay the half pay back if you don't return for a minimum of 3 months.

Clargo55 Sat 29-Mar-14 14:15:34

Same as Learnasyougo, for me. Minimum statutory maternity pay.

So 6 weeks 90% pay, 33 weeks at £135ish a week and then the last 3months £0.

JustAboutAdeqeuate Sat 29-Mar-14 14:17:25

Ella, completely certain. I was reading the maternity SOPs today and got very excited before I realised I was reading the wrong one.

ChickenFromHell Sat 29-Mar-14 14:19:48

14 weeks full pay, the rest at SMP.

PrincessOfChina Sat 29-Mar-14 14:31:27

We get 6 weeks at 90% then the remainder of the 39 weeks at 65% of salary. Get to keep all benefits like bonus, health plans etc.

angelopal Sat 29-Mar-14 16:25:20

Private sector 6 weeks full pay then 33 weeks at half pay. Do not have to pay anything back if do not return.

Mrsrochesterscat Sat 29-Mar-14 16:39:31

Up to a year full pay, there's a clause about the last six months and returning to work, but no clause about how long I have worked there, so I could work for one day and take a year's maternity leave. And if my partner was working in the same company as me, I could transfer my maternity leave to him.

Unsurprisingly, staff retention is exceedingly good. I feel incredibly lucky, I didn't even get sick pay in my last job!

Tigglette Sat 29-Mar-14 16:55:47

My work gives 12 weeks full pay, 14 weeks at half pay then 13 weeks smp, if the worker goes back to work they will top up the 14 weeks at half pay to full pay by means of a lump sum. So essentially 26 weeks full pay, 13 weeks smp, the same terms apply to adoption leave, which I hope to avail myself of at some point in the not too distant future and yes, I do know they're fairly generous in their terms and conditions.

PsychicPaper Sat 29-Mar-14 16:59:31

Assuming you have been there 3 years

9 months at full pay, another 3 month unpaid

You have to go back for a min of 6 months though

misog2000 Sat 29-Mar-14 17:00:02

I get 8 weeks full pay then 18 weeks half pay plus SMP. Can't afford more than a couple of months on half pay though so will be going back after 4 months, thank goodness for helpful grannies smile. I'm NHS btw so public sector.

Nosleeptillbedtime Sat 29-Mar-14 17:04:16

Ruby roo I work in the public sector and my maternity pay was the worst of everyone else in my nct and nhs group. Others in private and voluntary sector got a better deal.

CMOTDibbler Sat 29-Mar-14 17:06:42

Stat minimum at ours, unlikely to have your job covered while away, and part time hard to negotiate, and even harder to keep to.
We do have a great sick pay policy, and I know a number of people who have disabilities/long term illnesses who have had home based, flexible jobs created for them so they can keep working, so I don't judge the maternity leave thing so harshly

MyNameIsAnAnagram Sat 29-Mar-14 17:07:39

Smp. I've never worked anywhere that offered anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now