Would a new employer honour a holiday I'd already booked?

(9 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 27-Mar-14 13:31:54

I am in a job which is stable until March 2015, and then I'll be made redundant. I am currently job hunting quite intensively (20 applications in past 14 months. Interviews for 12 of them).

I have seen a great offer for flights to Toronto which is a destination DP and I have been wanting to visit for ages! Would I be crazy to book flights for about 6 months' time, knowing I may well be in a new job by then?

I don't know how likely it is a new employer would honour holidays I'd booked before I got the job with them? Thinking 2 - 3 weeks trip. Alternatively should I wait til I'm in a new job - but I don't know when that'll be, given I've had 14 months hunting so far!

oranges Thu 27-Mar-14 13:35:21

I'd book now if you are sure you can afford them - will you be able to go if you don't get a new job by then? Most employers seem fine to honour existing bookings if they know about them when you are hired, but baulk at you booking holidays straight after you join. The only danger is if there is something -a conference or a deadline, that they will absolutely need a new employee to meet at that time.

Bramshott Thu 27-Mar-14 13:36:19

Don't you generally agree on pre-booked holidays at the stage when they offer you the job?

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 27-Mar-14 13:36:45

If you tell them about it at interview, then they usually will. This has happened to me a couple of times. I am in the same boat at the moment (booked holiday for the summer back in the autumn of last year; have now resigned and am starting new job in May). It depends on the employer though.

You may not have accrued enough holiday to take it all as annual leave though - in which case you may have to ask for unpaid leave to cover the trip. I have done this before (started new job in 2001; had booked 3 week trip to Nepal which was 2 weeks after I started a new job and 1 month before the end of the leave year).

Ellypoo Thu 27-Mar-14 13:36:54

Firstly, if you leave your job before being made redundant, you probably won't receive any redundancy pay.

In terms of a new employer honouring a holiday, it is completely up to their discretion. They may not allow holidays during a probation period, or to not use annual leave that hasn't been accrued. We try to honour any holidays that have been booked by new employees, but won't if it affects our workload/training/settling in period or similar.

Germgirl Thu 27-Mar-14 13:38:00

My employer will (NHS), in fact it's one of the questions I was asked at interview.
If you can definitely afford to go even if you don't get a job as soon as you're made redundant then I'd go ahead & book I think.

flowery Thu 27-Mar-14 13:44:38

Most employers would if they can, but you can't insist so there is always going to be a risk.

I was on a ludicrous thread on here once where several people were adamant that new employers had to honour holiday.

ThePartyArtist Fri 28-Mar-14 12:11:22

Thanks everyone... well I think I may have come up with the answer as the airlines I was looking at allow you to change the date for £80 per person per flight... so potentially if I had a new employer who wouldn't allow me to take the dates I'd booked I'd lose £360 which would be far from ideal but better than cancelling altogether...

LIG1979 Fri 04-Apr-14 21:27:48

From my experience it is usually discussed at the job offer stage. In my experience it is never usually rejected. However I do work in a field where it is very difficult to find the right people and so if you found the right person you would not want to loose them because of a pre-booked holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now