I have seen a perfect job advertised today. It is in my preferred line of work and from the spec I fit all the criteria bar one, they want someone for an immediate start. Closing date is 2nd April.
I have been working in my current position since July last year. I have no employment contract (not in UK so not unusual). It is a very small family business and there is only me doing my job, so I would need to give my employer enough time to find somebody and I would have to train them. There is nobody else. This is how it happened when my predecessor left. She gave notice of one month.
I have mixed feelings, my colleagues are great, my boss is a twat at times but I can handle him, my main problems are that the salary is very poor, my petrol expenses are high and the work is very easy but mundane, bordering on boring. Really it would be more suited to a a part timer. In short, I am skint and extremely unchallenged. This other job is more money and much less travelling.
The job market here is very tough with unemployment at an all time high so really I have nothing to lose by applying but it is the immediate start that worries me. I don't want to leave my boss in the shit so would not be able to just leave.
I have no worries about being sued for breach of contract as there is no contract and here it would probably take 5 years to come to court anyway so that is not a factor at all.
Apply for it and when you get offered the job (think positive!) ask if you could delay the start for a week or two. Hopefully they will respect you for wanting to help your current employer but if they insist you start straight away go for it.
You could always offer to help your current employer do a handover over a couple of evenings or weekend.
Update. I applied on Monday, they e-mailed me on Tuesday and arranged for a phone interview on Wednesday. Then I had a face to face interview yesterday. All this before the closing date!
I didn't get any vibes one way or the other but I know that I don't interview very well. I get terrible anxiety and either my mouth runs away with me or I say the wrong things or both. Anyhow, I am erring on the side that I have not been successful, plus there were a couple of internal candidates. Should know by mid next week. Eeeeeek.
Could it be an additional vacancy, rather than the same job re-advertised?
You could give them a call, request some feedback and get a feel for how closely you met their requirements, explaining that you don't interview well - your strengths lie elsewhere - and put forward an alternative plan to demonstrate your capability.
You don't have to come across as desperate - just show enthusiasm for the job/company and give them something to consider. If it's a 'perfect job' for you, what have you got to lose?
It's the same job, exactly the same spec and I know they were only looking for on person, and fast. They did say mid week but not to worry if it went to Friday at the latest so will give till then before I give up all hope....