Denim skirt suitable for interview?

(39 Posts)
Syrupent Fri 21-Mar-14 17:43:44

OK so it's the first time in 20 years I have applied for a job. If I get an interview would my denim skirt be OK (Knee length)? My only other skirts are gypsy or summer floral. All my trousers are jeans. Its a technical job not a buisness or customer facing role. Or will I need a trip to M & S for something nasty???

Yika Fri 21-Mar-14 17:45:31

Trip to M&S, or borrow a skirt. First impressions are very important at interview.

Shesparkles Fri 21-Mar-14 17:46:00

I would say no to denim. At the risk of a flaming, Primark do really reasonably priced work/interview type clothes

rookiemater Fri 21-Mar-14 17:46:18

Nope - you can't wear a denim skirt sorry. Charity shop should have something suitable, doesn't need to be nasty.

Trip to M&S definitely, always better to err on the side of formality.

I was always told to dress for the job you want, not the job you have. So it depends on the industry standard. I have to say, I do dress a bit better for interviews than I do on a daily basis in my job though.

How are your floral skirts? Are the floaty or straigh style. You could make one of them look business-y if you have a plain shirt/top and a blazer.

Matalan have some nice cheap interview clothes in atm.

MooMaid Fri 21-Mar-14 17:47:49

Agree, would not attend in a denim skirt either - annoying because you'll have to go out and find something else but no to denim.

Simple black skirt would be fine, even from Tesco/Asda

Kaekae Fri 21-Mar-14 17:48:23

No, would not risk going in a denim skirt...to ANY interview.

Guitargirl Fri 21-Mar-14 17:48:52

I am thinking no but then I don't know what would be usual in that sector. It doesn't have to be anything nasty. Can't you just get a plain(ish) dress or skirt or something from a shop you like?

ContinentalKat Fri 21-Mar-14 17:49:03

I work within the IT industry and in our company a denim skirt would definitely be fine for an interview.
Is it through an agency? Ask them about company style and dress code!

BitOutOfPractice Fri 21-Mar-14 17:49:28

No, not suitable for interview. But getting something smart doesn't have to be nasty

Bloodyteenagers Fri 21-Mar-14 17:50:12

No denim.
There are lots more shops out there, other than m&s that sell smart clothes.

BellaVita Fri 21-Mar-14 17:50:41

Definitely no denim.

Only if you are applying for a job in a travelling fair.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 21-Mar-14 17:53:55

Not denim, gypsy, floral, jeans or other casual.

You'll need something plain and smart.

Borrow or charity shop if you can't afford the spend.

princessalbert Fri 21-Mar-14 17:55:00

I would say no. And I have most recently worked in offices with very casual dress code. (jeans most days for me).

Just pick up a cheap black or grey skirt from Primark for £5. It may come in handy if you have to attend any meetings in the future.

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Fri 21-Mar-14 18:01:12

I once bought a second hand three piece suit from debenhams off eBay.

That was the trousers, jacket and 50's style pencil dress all for £8.

I got the job and I still have the suit.

It was such good quality. One of my best eBay bargains.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 21-Mar-14 18:10:31

I got my current job in entirely charity shop interview clothes.

It's the sort of stuff I'd never normally wear so I didn't want to waste money.

flowery Fri 21-Mar-14 18:17:14

Always dress at least one level smarter for the interview than you would for the job.

So no, a denim skirt v unlikely to be suitable on that basis.

In some roles, it would be absolutely fine.

I would play it safe though and pick up a cheapo, smartish dress from somewhere like Sainsbury's or Primark.

FabBakerGirl Fri 21-Mar-14 18:27:56

Why something nasty? hmm

You really can't wear a denim skirt to an interview. There are plenty of inexpensive smart skirts around. No need for anything nasty. There are also shops other than M&S.

nowahousewife Fri 21-Mar-14 18:31:19

No demim skirt for an interview, might be suitable once you get the job but definitely not for the interview.

Plain straight skirt or trousers and a jacket.

Summat like this with a cardigan maybe?

fuckwittery Fri 21-Mar-14 18:46:14

No denim!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now