Boss spying on us..

(23 Posts)
MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 07:19:37

Hi all,

Bit of a strange one.
I work self employed for more than one employer. Yesterday employer A asked me if I could stay a bit longer to cover someone else. I declined as I had another job to later that day but also wanted to leave on time to pick up a prescription between jobs from the GP.

About 20 mins later I had a text from employer B stating that employer A had phoned them up to find out at what time I started work there and how many days a week I was working there.
Employer A does not know about the text but was also insistent that I should explain to them "why I could not stay longer".

A few days ago I parked in the staff carpark and went in to the shop across the road to pick up something for my daughter. My car was spotted in the company CCTV in the carpark. Again I was asked to explain why it took me do long to get from the carpark to the office. To put this onto context, it would normally take 4 mins to get from the carpark to the office whilst in this day it may have taken me 10. I did not go for a jolly in to the town centre and was still in the office 30 mins early.

This may all sound like small things but I don't think it is anyone business what I do outside my contracted hours and how many other jobs I do. Nor do I like the idea that someone is watching my every move. Are they allowed to do this?
Would really like to tell them in a polite way they can not do this and leave me alone.

Thank you.

500internalerror Tue 18-Mar-14 07:22:52

Creepy! Unless there's something going on at work & they're looking at everyone to get to the bottom if it? I can't think what though! Do employers a &b know each other well, for a to ask questions of b like that?

starfishmummy Tue 18-Mar-14 07:31:04

I was expecting to say that an employer is entitled to make sure you are dkjng your job, but this is very odd. If he says anything you should just tell him that he is laying you to work for x hours and that is what you are doing/have done.

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 07:36:59

When I started work at A I was asked if I did hours at other centres. She knows B by name and she knows the names of some of the staff there as some used to work at A. She knows boss B by name only as far as I'm aware.

Boss A often uses the CCTV to check that everyone is doing what they are supposed to do, make notes of dates and times of whom is talking to whom, how long for etc...
It is not nice that it is going on but I do feel quite angry about the fact that she actually phoned somebody to ask what time I had to be there.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 18-Mar-14 07:42:27

If you are self employed one of the criteria is that you can set your own hours, as long as you only invoice for the hours you work then I can't see she has any further claim. I would point out that if she wishes you to be more flexible then it would be better if you were an employee that might bring this to a speedy close.

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 08:04:25

She has told me previously that she is not happy about the fact that I work at different places and would like me to work only for her but... She can not offer me more hours/ pay me more to make up for what I give up with my other employers, she believes I have to be available at all times and be on standby. I have explained to her that this would financially not be workable.

Still don't think she should phone my other workplaces to find out what I'm doing there.

TribbleWithoutATardis Tue 18-Mar-14 08:06:56

N

TribbleWithoutATardis Tue 18-Mar-14 08:09:05

Oops, sorry about that.

No, she shouldn't be phoning your other employer as to where you are. What was B's reaction to the phone call? It's really not very professional of her, and honestly, it smacks of stalking.

Can you find another job? I wouldn't want to work for an employer who obviously doesn't trust me.

whattoWHO Tue 18-Mar-14 08:09:29

Did employer B give A info about your employment with them?

Do you have an aopraisaly coming up or any meeting where you can formally raise that is inappropriate to call B?

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 08:19:04

B told me later that day that she had phoned and asked if I was due in later that afternoon and at what time. She also asked if I was doing any other days for them.

Employer B thought it was odd and told her that I was due in later that day but remained vague about the exact time.
They said nothing about any extra work I do for them either.
When B put the phone down they sent me a text as they found this phone all rather strange.

TheArticFunky Tue 18-Mar-14 08:57:38

I think you will have to tell her that you have been informed about the phone call and ask her what the issue is.

stowsettler Tue 18-Mar-14 09:19:54

Are the employers in direct competition? Could that be the issue? Otherwise it seems very inappropriate, unless you haven't told them both that you are not exclusive.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Tue 18-Mar-14 11:30:52

If you are self-employed how do you account for your time?

Is there an issue with them thinking you are charging them for time when you aren't working. Do you charge from when you arrive at the carpark? If so they might feel they are paying for you to go to the shop etc.

I ask as I am self-employed with a regular client and know that it can be tricky I don't feel I can do the sorts of admin the others do during work etc.

Not saying you are fleecing them, but wonder if they think that?

I think it is very unprofessional of them. I would bring it up directly and ask if there is an issue. I am not sure employers have the right to find out what you are doing when you aren't with them, even less so if you are self-employed - that is the point, less ties on both sides.

Good luck.

FabULouse Tue 18-Mar-14 11:32:12

If you're self employed they are not your employers and need to stop behaving as if they are.

AdoraBell Tue 18-Mar-14 11:38:09

What sort of work is it were A expects you To be available and on call when not working? I don't mean your actual Job, rather is it a reasonable expectación in your line of work?

And are you in an office full of skivers that A needs To monitor?

simonelebonbon Tue 18-Mar-14 18:31:46

If you are working from 10,00 to 14.00 then it is none of her business what you are doing at 09:55 or 14.05.

I would tell her that all this checking up on you is making you very uncomfortable and you would appreciate if she would not check up on you with Employer B without telling you.

She sounds weird. Does she not have enough work to do or something?

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 22:51:52

I work as a swimming teacher. I work for several different employers. With some companies I sign in and out, others ask for time sheets to be completed. I assume they compare my time sheets & invoices. The only times I'm in the office is to help the swim co. answer queries which is time I do not invoice for in any event. Some centres are in competition with each other but that is normal in the industry and it was clear from the outset that i was also working for other companies. There is no clause in our agreement that stops me working elsewhere either. Employer B now seems to think I should be available to cover absence of other teachers instead of working for other centres.... Having thought about it a bit more think it would be best to see if anyone else has hours going and give up employer B. had enough to be honest. I think it is unreasonable to expect me to be on standby (unpaid) whilst I have regular hours elsewhere and I think it is even more unreasonable she checks my whereabouts with others.

IAmNotDarling Tue 18-Mar-14 22:59:36

Are you sure that you are self employed? It sounds like you may actually be an employee - use the HMRC status tool to find out.

I'd be kicking up an almighty fuss with the centre owner about this manager's unreasonable behaviour!

Do you not mean give up employer A? She's the one doing the checking?
Sorry if I've got that wrong.
I'd not give up anything tbh. You work your contracted / invoiced hours. She's the weirdo, just tell he you can't do more and still take the money.

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 23:03:14

I do schools for B from 10am-2pm so 4 hours including 30 mins paid lunch break. So when I finish I normally dash of to go to other centres to do after school swimming classes.
Something else she is not happy about but her rate of pay is far lower as what I get from other clients. So I only tend to cover for her if I don't have anything else on which is rare.

Hope this sort of makes sense.

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 23:04:30

Should read I do schools for A not B...

Maybe it is time for bed!?

MerlinFromCamelot Tue 18-Mar-14 23:09:08

Problem is she is the GM. Guess there is only head office to go to.

I have a unique tax ref & invoice for my time. All declared, I don't have payslips etc.

IAmNotDarling Tue 01-Apr-14 14:53:09

Sorry for not coming back sooner. Whilst you have a UTR it's the engagement with the employer that is a decider, not if you are registered as self employed.

You can have multiple employments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now