Role responsibility

(7 Posts)
stella69x Sat 08-Mar-14 00:35:49

How much out of defined role support should I still be giving to a new colleague?
Bit of background, sorry might be long.

Aug 2013 a manager left, small business, critical role. Duties were covered by director, another manager with experience with role and myself. After 2 months replacement with close industry experience but didn't work out after 3 weeks. 4-5 weeks ago another replacement started with related industry experience, with a designated 'right hand man' promoted from operational staff to assist with how this specific industry/company works.
They have now been in post for 6 weeks and don't seem to be getting it, and has a bit of a line in not listening/"I didn't know"
Problem is without me and other manager watching closely they could have made mistakes that cost the business. Other manager is taking a harder line than me on the removing support and concentrating on their defined role, but i am struggling as I have always 'fixed' things for all other colleagues, but am resentful that I am still looking out for an area of the business that now has 2 people officially doing it

Hoppinggreen Sat 08-Mar-14 09:11:17

It's good that You are offering support to help the business generally but if you keep preventing these people from making mistakes then they won't learn. Perhaps they need extra training or simply aren't up to the job but either way you need to step back.
There's no point in being resentful either, this is not your business you are an employee so you don't have to " fix" things for your colleagues.
Concentrate on your own role and help when asked if it's reasonable

stella69x Sat 08-Mar-14 11:24:35

Thanks, I know this but am struggling to 'let them fail' as I know the consequences for the business. I am finding it hard to let go of the bits I have covered (for no extra pay) in the time the post was vacant.
Il

flowery Sat 08-Mar-14 12:22:41

Does this person report to you?

stella69x Sun 09-Mar-14 20:04:50

No, equal level in a flat style management structure

flowery Mon 10-Mar-14 06:28:38

Ok then you need to discuss your concerns and the best approach to take with the person's line manager, who should be providing most of the necessary support.

Geoff0409 Mon 10-Mar-14 10:37:14

Aha. Another "Fixer". You are exactly like me in many ways. I often feel that all workplaces, families and any other group of people always have the person who is the "fixer" amongst them. I am this role at home with my family, and also at work - the one who actually sorts things out, rather than just talking about it. I often say that I have 2 kids at home, I don't need another load in the workplace. Forsight to see mistakes and problems before they happen or become bigger is a wonderful thing, but you must let your colleagues make these mistakes - they will never learn otherwise. Let the reigns off a bit with them and go from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now