Silence about returning to work

(2 Posts)
notthegruffalo Thu 06-Mar-14 19:31:14

I have posted here before about my situation - i am on maternity leave from a p/t role, due to return in May. I have emailed my boss since my leave began but he hasn't replied. In the past 9 months all of my colleagues have left and their roles have changed or not been filled. 6 wks ago the chair of the board asked me for a meeting, at which he told me they wanted to change my role to one that I would no longer be qualified for.

I asked to think about it and spoke to acas. I then emailed to suggest a settlement agreement - I would waive my right to return if they gave me 3 months salary.

That was a month ago. I got an acknowledgement of my email, but since then - nothing.

What should I do? I want to leave. On as favourable terms as is possible.

flowery Fri 07-Mar-14 09:01:44

Based on your earlier thread, you were asked how you would feel about returning to a changed role, with no moves being made to force you to do so. By responding asking them for a settlement rather than trying to enforce your right to return to your original or a suitable alternative role, you have clearly indicated that you have no intention of returning. Therefore there is very little incentive for them to offer you a settlement.

As I said on your earlier thread:

"One option would be to write to the chair, saying that as you have heard nothing further you will be returning as planned on x date to your original role. Say you understand you are entitled to your original role, or, if that's not reasonably practicable, a suitable alternative on no less favourable terms and conditions."

That might prompt them into offering a settlement or possibly redundancy. But if you are not willing to do that, you may need to resign.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now