Returning to do a maternity cover from a maternity cover and then...

(5 Posts)
giggle78 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:23:06

I have just returned to work after being on maternity cover. I haven't returned to my old job. Instead I have taken on a new role which is a maternity cover for another colleague. Lots of reasons for doing this including the job hours are more suited to my home life now, better salary. My maternity cover person has taken on my old role permanently.

When I was offered the maternity cover it was said that there was no guarantee of a job at the end of it. I said "well not to worry" and just thought I would start looking for new jobs, although it is a bit scary.

I mentioned this to my friend at work and he said - "did you resign from your last job"? Me - "No". He then said "well they can't just say there is no
job for you when the maternity cover ends".

Oh. So. Does anyone know anything about this? Where do I stand when this maternity cover comes to an end seeing as I am a permanent member of staff doing a temporary role? Many thanks, Giggle

flowery Sat 01-Mar-14 19:02:09

As long as the terms and conditions of the new role including the fact that it was temporary, were made clear to you and it was an option you chose rather than were forced into, that's fine. You are entitled to your own job on the same terms when you return from maternity leave, or if that is not practicable, a suitable one on no less favourable terms.

But it sounds like you preferred the terms of this role and were comfortable with them, so that's fine.
In terms of what happens, well they will need to find you a suitable role if there is one available, but they are not expected to create a job just for you where one doesn't exist.
If there is no suitable job, you'll be redundant, and will be entitled to maternity pay assuming you will have been there long enough.

KeithTheCat Sat 01-Mar-14 19:03:17

I don't know for sure, but I think your friend is right.

I've done mat cover a few times and was always told I'd need to go back to my old job, and that it would still be there for me.

sorry I'm not much help.

giggle78 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:19:35

Hello, thanks for your replies.
Flowery - do you know if that will include redundancy pay?

I am not unhappy with the situation whatever happens and my employers are really good.

flowery Tue 04-Mar-14 19:38:48

Sorry yes I meant redundancy pay not maternity pay. You need to have been employed continuously for two years and if so you'll get redundancy pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now