Switching from Staff Nurse to HCA?

(9 Posts)
Babyroobs Sat 08-Feb-14 11:09:26

Does anyone have any experience of switching from working as a registered Staff Nurse to working at the same place as an HCA? I love the place I work at and am passionate about my work but find the stresses of working as a qualified Nurse unbearbale at times although some days are better than others. I feel constantly pressured to take on extra roles, a lot of time is spent working on the computer which I find frustrating and I suffer from anxiety once I am home worrying about whether I have made the right decisions/ said the right thing/ forgotten anything important etc. This anxiety coupled with the stresses of 3 young children at home sometimes becomes unbearable.
I have been comparing my salary to some of the senior Health care assistents and really I don't get paid a huge amount more for all the extra responsibilities I take on and I'm beginning to wonder whether it is all worth it.
I was just wondering if I asked to become a HCA would I automatically switch to a top level HCA ( I'm not even sure of their pay structure), would I have to go through an interview, would it be hard to chnge roles. I think my main worry is letting my registration lapse and then regretting it a few years down the line when the kids are older and finding it hard to return to practice. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Jinty64 Sat 08-Feb-14 22:11:13

One of my staff was previously a registered nurse with vast experience, ICU, research etc and is now working as a healthcare assistant for the very reasons you have given. She gave up her job elsewhere and then applied for our vacant post. She says she has no regrets.

You would need to discuss it with your line manager but I would imagine you would have to wait until a HCA post was available.

I have considered it myself but I am top of a band 6 and it would be a big drop in wages.

Needadvice5 Sat 08-Feb-14 22:16:43

Hi op, something I've thought about alot recently!

I'm a band 6 sister and our HCA's earn only slightly less than me??

Not sure you'd be able to do it in your own area though, I think the transition would be too difficult, staff would still expect you to do qualified roles.

Surely you could join the bank or an agency to enable you to keep your registration?

I will watch this thread with interest!

Babyroobs Sun 09-Feb-14 13:56:44

Thanks both for your replies, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person who ahs considered doing this. My qualified colleuges all think I am mad to be considering it but funnily enough the HCA's say they completely understand where I am coming from as no way would they want to do my job for a couple of hundred extra pounds a month!

Preferthedogtothekids Mon 10-Feb-14 17:13:08

I was an RMN for many years, then I worked in teaching in an FE college. I had some health problems and decided to let my registration lapse and I didn't want to go back to the stress and responsibility of nursing or teaching. I did apply for a couple of part-time HCA roles in the private sector and didn't get the job, I fear the employer felt I was not suitable to take a subordinate role in the organisation. I now work as a TA in a High School and I love it. It is a mix of behaviour management, a bit of first-aid and lots of direct contact with troubled kids and young people with health issues. The pay is fairly poor, but the teaching and support team are supportive and professional. You will definitely have skills that you can use!

spekulatius Mon 10-Feb-14 17:15:07

As far as I'm aware you are not allowed to work as an HCA if you have got an active PIN.

I am just doing it the other way round, am a HCA and starting post grad course to be a registered nurse. What I would say is look at how hcas are treated where you are. Some places are fine, some places hcas are treated with very little respect and it can really get you down. I dont think you would start at top band thought I think you would have to start at bottom band and work up. I am band 2, although I do venepuncture and I know in a lot of trusts with the competancies I do I should be a band 3. Sorry that is probably a bit rambly.

ggirl Mon 10-Feb-14 17:41:40

I have known colleagues who are ex nurses and working as HCA's but they didn't have their pin anymore.
If you're keen to stay where you are will you have to hand in your notice and wait for HCA job to come up?

noCompassion Thu 20-Feb-14 07:18:25

If you can afford the pay drop, would cutting your hours be worth considering?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now