Redundancy and rights over alternative employment

(6 Posts)
JazzElbows Fri 07-Feb-14 14:09:09

I am covering an admin post on a long term temporary basis (about 1.5 years), current contract until end March. One person in the organisation has been made redundant, or will be as of end March. Am I right in thinking they need to offer her 'my' (it's not mine, I know) post as alternative employment as a matter of right?

flowery Fri 07-Feb-14 15:22:28

Difficult to advise you about someone else's rights based on only knowing the fact that she'll be redundant.

In a general sense, if someone's post is to be made redundant, they should be offered the opportunity to apply for internal vacancies, and if there is a vacancy which would be a "suitable alternative" role, it should be offered to that person, or that person could be redeployed into it.

Basically the employer is expected to avoid redundancy if possible, so if there is a vacancy that is suitable, they'd be expected to at least give the person a trial period in it.

JazzElbows Fri 07-Feb-14 15:38:23

Thanks Flowery, I know I didn't give much to go on. The other person is permanent of many years standing and I see no reason why she would not be able to do the job, it is roughly comparable I would say. So presumably they would offer her the post and simply not extend my contract.

JazzElbows Fri 07-Feb-14 15:43:32

'My' job is fewer hours however, so she may not be interested.

flowery Fri 07-Feb-14 15:53:01

Well, let's put it this way. If she was interested in the job, and it is currently filled by a temp whose contract ends at the same time her role is redundant, and they didn't offer it to her, they would be vulnerable to a claim from her.

JazzElbows Fri 07-Feb-14 16:08:10

As I suspected - and rightly too, I have no beef with this. My boss won't see it like that though, but he doesn't have much choice really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now