Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Taking on new duties at work which are above my scale for no extra £, anyone else in this position?

(6 Posts)
gagaworship Fri 07-Feb-14 12:26:10

I work in the local authority and my colleague who was a few grades higher whom I worked with closely for years and had a few sort of interwoven duties/responsibilites retired. Some duties were given to another person who had a pay increase (which I was not made aware of at the time) and I volunteered to take on a specific area of work which I felt related directly to my job for no extra money but it turns out a lot of added pressure.

Now another manager is leaving and there is another specific duty which they carry out -that I sometimes do that no-one else does at the moment.

I really don't have the time to take on anything else but don't like the idea of duties I'm involved with being farmed out to others.

Anyone with any advice about what to do in this position.

Gloria1969 Fri 07-Feb-14 17:56:26

Hi there Gagaworship
I work in Local Government and over the past 5 years have not had a payrise but am expected to do moreorless treble the job responsibility and diversity than back then.
We are going through an enabling process whereby the management team have got their jobs in a no-competition scenario whereas the rest of us have to scrabble around and compete with onenanother for jobs.
My suggestion to you would be to take on the additional duties on a trial basis on the understanding that these will be shared longer term and based on an assumption you will be given the additional staff support to do some of your stuff.
This way you are being flexible and more than fair.
Good luck!

gagaworship Fri 07-Feb-14 19:25:39

Gloria, thankyou for your comment. It is indeed a very difficult time, with not much support or consideration at times.

Your trial basis idea is great and I feel that this it something that could work without an either all or nothing approach. This is definately the way forward ( in my opinion) just hope my manager agree's and like you say is a flexible approach for all concerned.

Thanks again.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 08-Feb-14 10:42:44

Gaga, I'd guess your colleague who got the pay rise associated with the extra duties did so because he/she asked for it. It sounds like you've been doing more than you're paid for for a while, and now they need you to take on more again... How about you say that you'd love to, but only as long as you get regraded. You sound like a good value, accommodating employee... I think it'd be worth their while to keep you sweet.

gagaworship Sun 09-Feb-14 16:40:51

Brown sauce, thankyou for your comment. I did ask the last time I took on duties to no avail. Just do not want to be in a position down the line where I want to kick myself for not suggesting other ways of working which may have not been thought about. Just hope it works out for me. It might in the end not just be about the money unfortunately wish it was. Just hope the trial idea is popular with my manager.

RandomMess Sun 09-Feb-14 16:54:37

Unfortunately lots of us in the civil service dept where I work are in the same situation.

Someone at a grade or 2 higher leaves, and we get their work. Our roles aren't regraded etc etc.

It stinks but very much just the way it is I'm afraid sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now