New job, how long to stay to be credible before ttc?

(4 Posts)
Krusty123 Thu 06-Feb-14 17:39:34

I'm down to the final round of a job that would be an amazing move for me, career wise and financially, but I am hitting a quandary.
I've just turned 34 and hubby and I were going to start ttc until this role came my way.
I could stay where I am in comfortable, safe job and ttc or take the career move, wait for a bit and then ttc.
But how long to wait if I get and accept the role?
I know there are maternity rights but how long is considered a good amount of time to build up your internal momentum and credibility before you disappear for a year on mat leave?
It could be a a 'how long is piece of string' question, like how long it will take to get pregnant but I'm conscience time is not on my side overall.
Some general opinions would be great!

Mouldypineapple Thu 06-Feb-14 17:42:06

You have no idea how long ttc may take. Not immediate for everyone by any stretch. You know what your job involves, why not set yourself a time such as 3 months into the job then reassess. Good luck.

nicelyneurotic Thu 06-Feb-14 23:04:43

I'd leave 6 months. Then, if you get pregnant straight away, you won't have to announce it for a further 3-4 months.

Also check the policy on maternity pay, you may have to have worked there a certain amount of time before you get the enhanced maternity pay.

Gloria1969 Fri 07-Feb-14 18:52:00

Good luck to you Krusty123.
I made a major career move at 34 and then planned leaving it a year until starting to try. In my case, we tried for 2 years and then embarked on an IVF journey which, though tragic initially, has led to two beautiful children born when I was 38 and 40 respectively.
There is no right answer for this - if you know you are healthy with good hormone levels (LH, FSH etc) I would say give it 6-12 months but no longer than that - this is your life and having a family is your right!
Wishing you all the best with your work and parent journey x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now