6 weeks pregnant - boss wants me to help lugg heavy boxes.

(12 Posts)
atmywitsend13 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:30:58

Hi All

I am posting on behalf of my friend who does not use this site.

She is 6 weeks pregnant.

She works in the city for a large property firm and her boss has asked her and the rest of the team to come in tomorrow in jeans and expect to be helping out lugging heavy boxes around the floor. (not sure why floor move maybe)

She doesn't really want to tell her employer she isn't helping as she would - but obviously she doesn't want to do herself any damage.

How should she handle this? I told her if she trusts her boss then she should be honest and explain why and she could mann the phones whilst everyone is away.

I am a bit perplexed as to how she should handle it.

Thanks all

eurochick Thu 06-Feb-14 15:36:20

Claim a back injury?

allmycats Thu 06-Feb-14 15:38:55

tell the truth !!! - why would she not just tell the truth ?

LoofahVanDross Thu 06-Feb-14 15:40:18

Think she would be honest. If she does lift then it could be dangerous, if she doesn't tell him then that would be her fault. She could just say it's early days and i have to tell you because you want me to lift, but at the moment I don't want anyone else knowing. He will be fine.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 06-Feb-14 15:41:27

Tell the truth. The boss needs to ensure she has a fish assessment. She will land herself in trouble if she keeps "trying to get out" of things.

Paintyfingers Thu 06-Feb-14 15:45:25

Telling the truth best, I think.

qazxc Thu 06-Feb-14 15:47:19

Tell the truth, she can tell the boss that it's early days and she doesn't want anyone else knowing.

NatashaBee Thu 06-Feb-14 15:58:14

The boss needs to ensure she has a fish assessment

grin but yes, I would tell the boss, she is entitled to a risk assessment to ensure her chair is set up correctly etc. I'm sure if her boss is decent they would be horrified at the idea of her lifting boxes whilst pregnant, it puts the company at risk of being sued if she hurts herself.

atmywitsend13 Thu 06-Feb-14 16:01:53

She isn't trying or hasn't got out of any work. She doesn't want to harm herself or her baby by lugging heavy boxes around.

But obviously she isn't 12 weeks and doesn't want to tempt fate by telling her employer yet.

She doesn't trust her boss (lady)

Pinkandwhite Thu 06-Feb-14 16:03:54

If it was me I would say I had a back problem and offer to help another way. In my last pregnancy that ended in mc, I told people I was pregnant v early and then had to deal with kindly meant but at times quite hurtful comments from people. I think there's a reason why you don't share this news with many people too early.

atmywitsend13 Thu 06-Feb-14 16:13:35

She has decided to tell her line manager. Not heard anything back at the moment - but will come back if I need anymore advice. thanks all x

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 06-Feb-14 21:49:43

Risk assessments for pregnant employees should NOT be left until the employer is notified that an employee is pregnant... There should be that risk assessment in operation for any employees who MIGHT be pregnant (ie: women of child bearing age; ie: women of working age... Basically if you employee women, you should treat them as if any one of them might be pregnant).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now