Boss not responded to resignation

(12 Posts)
guggenheim Thu 06-Feb-14 12:01:14

I handed my notice in last week but my boss hasn't spoken to me or mailed or replied in any way.

I guess there may be several reasons for this:

Boss not doing paperwork (likely) and hasn't opened the envelope.

I only work part time and boss may be waiting for my next work day.She has my phone number and mail address.

Boss is a bully and this is a tactic to make me feel small.

Boss is sitting on my resignation (probably literally) and thinks she can delay my going for a more convenient time for her.

She has lost many members of staff and they all leave rapidly in slightly mysterious circumstances she has been vile and they leave
My question is- how long should I give her before chasing her up about it?
Also:
What if she claims not to have seen it? What happens if she is vile to me during my notice period?

GemmaTeller Thu 06-Feb-14 12:06:46

Have you kept a copy of the letter? Is there an HR dept?

If so, I would take a copy to HR and explain you gave it to your boss on xxx date and are expecting to leave on xxx date.

flowery Thu 06-Feb-14 12:26:21

Who did you hand it in to if not your boss herself?

Mintyy Thu 06-Feb-14 12:28:47

Do you need to worry? Just quietly get on with your job and leave on the date you have told her. If she's vile to you in your notice period then be equally vile right back ... you have nothing to lose!

pussycatdoll Thu 06-Feb-14 12:30:59

Ask HR if they've received it

Unexpected Thu 06-Feb-14 13:16:18

Is there a reason why you did not also verbally tell your boss that you were resigning? It would be quite common to approach your manager, letter in hand, but tell them what the contents of the letter are. If you have concerns about your leaving date, I would simply give a copy of the letter to HR and reiterate your leaving date.

guggenheim Thu 06-Feb-14 14:57:43

Thank you, these are all really sensible suggestions.

My boss wasn't in when I went in with my letter so I left it on her desk. I start work early. I didn't chase it up at the end of the day because I feebly wanted to avoid confrontation.

I was only a temporary employee but I want out as soon as poss.

flowery Thu 06-Feb-14 15:08:40

Have you not seen her since?

Unexpected Thu 06-Feb-14 17:23:10

I think not Flowery as the OP only works part-time. Obviously you know better than us OP the specifics of this particular situation but if I was your manager and received your resignation (possibly after you left the office) I would consider it somewhere between inappropriate and unnecessary to email or phone you at home to acknowledge this, particularly as you are temporary staff and therefore must always have been looking for other positions. If your manager does not acknowledge the resignation on your next day in the office, I would (wo)man up and mention it to her in passing. What is your notice period anyway?

EBearhug Thu 06-Feb-14 23:20:16

I had to resign twice from one job, because they lost my original resignation (only adding to my reasons for leaving.) Fortunately, I had enough leave and so on that meant my final working date didn't change from what I'd originally expected. I had given it in person to my manager, and he verbally accepted - then I asked after about a week whether I'd be getting official acknowledgement at some point.

I think if you don't hear anything next time you're in the office and can see your manager face to face, you definitely have to bring it up yourself then.

guggenheim Fri 07-Feb-14 08:59:18

Yes I will chase this up when I go back in. I'm having such a horrible time that even when I'm not there I'm sort of shaky and constantly going over things in my mind.

I do need to woman up. i want to be let go as soon as.

Anyhow,thank you so much for impartial,massively useful advice,it's appreciated far more than you can know. flowers

Mintyy Fri 07-Feb-14 12:55:26

You poor thing! That sounds really horrible. I am sure your next job will be 100% better.

I wonder if this bullying boss will ever make the connection between her rapid staff turnover and her own unpleasant behaviour?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now