New job. Don't like it. Help!

(7 Posts)
Lagoonablue Wed 05-Feb-14 22:40:35

Short version. Am a trained professional, worked in a front line service for 15 years in different roles, moved into management and then into a fab job managing a project, flexible hours, great team, decent level of responsibility etc. unfortunately funding cut, new horrid boss and my role cut. I had to move down a grade. Felt humiliated and undervalued.

After a lot of soul searching left the organisation I had worked for for so long for a new job. Nearer home, similar salary etc. however not long after getting job there was a restructure and the job I am doing is not the one I applied for. Is similar, same team but less interesting. Feel gutted really. This current job, been there almost 10 months is really boring. I would never have applied for it. Well below my capabilities. Don't know what to do.

Grin and bear it and look to go part time - possible option.

Hang on and hope more interesting roles turn up. Is possible as there is so much restructuring going on.

Look for a new job elsewhere? Or will it look bad as only been here 10 months?

Haven't told my manager yet that I am bored. Should I . Or will he think bad of me. Should probably ask about my prospects I guess. Also feel should tell him I am pissed off at doing a different job than the one I applied for.

TwittyMcTwitterson Thu 06-Feb-14 07:10:25

If you have the courage, talk to your manager about it and say you would like more of a challenge etc.

If you explain why you are looking for new jobs 10 months is ok, 12 much better if u can hack it for two more months grin

starfishmummy Thu 06-Feb-14 07:14:36

I second talking to your manager. Obviously don't mention the bored word but ask if there are any "special projects" you can take on, or better still have something in mind yourself.

Lagoonablue Thu 06-Feb-14 08:33:16

Thanks. I hope things will crop up as lots going on so guess there is hope.

flowery Thu 06-Feb-14 09:03:35

I would agree with the others. Talk to your manager, and hang on until you've done a year anyway, as that looks a lot more acceptable than 10 months. It's also fine to explain to a new employer that your role changed dramatically so you felt you needed to move on.

Lagoonablue Thu 06-Feb-14 11:08:50

Yes I need to just grin and bear it don't I. Thanks for replies. Just useful for other views.

atmywitsend13 Thu 06-Feb-14 15:24:01

In the mean time however you could always use the time wisely and do some courses online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now