Second referee? Who?

(7 Posts)
Madmartigan Tue 04-Feb-14 20:27:33

Completing an application form that asks for two referees. I have been with the same employer since graduating 14 years ago so I am out of practice in applications. One would be my current boss, think she will understand me applying for another job, long story. I have no idea who the other referee should be. I have looked for advice on line, but it is mostly aimed at school leavers or graduates (i.e. an academic reference). Other suggestions were your doctor (madness, they don't know me at all) or someone who you've worked with as a volunteer. I'd love to have time to volunteer!

Any suggestions?

Mojang Tue 04-Feb-14 20:34:53

Is there a colleague you could put down, or a different boss in the same organisation i.e. someone you've worked for in the recent past but who has moved on

I have put down my old Sunday School teacher and Guide leader in the past. If they are suggesting doctor, it's probably to confirm you identity, rather than your suitability for the job.

Madmartigan Tue 04-Feb-14 20:39:56

Thanks, there isn't usually much turnover with my employer, but as it goes a former line manager finished last week and gave me his e-mail address, so that might work. The doctor suggestion was one I found online, not on the application, by the way.

Hassled Tue 04-Feb-14 20:41:49

If you have one work-related reference, then could the other one be a friend/personal reference?

Madmartigan Tue 04-Feb-14 20:45:14

Do people give friends as references? I wouldn't have thought potential employers would be impressed.

flowery Tue 04-Feb-14 21:12:58

Don't put a friend, or anyone you know in a personal capacity. If you've been employed 14 years there ought to be more than one manager you've worked with who'd be prepared to be a referee for you.

Madmartigan Sat 08-Feb-14 20:40:14

Thanks flowery, I didn't realise I could use two line managers. I can think of a few that I think would be reasonably positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now