Does anyone have any legal advice regarding time off in relation to pregnancy loss?

(4 Posts)
Spaghettinetti Tue 04-Feb-14 16:31:20

A friend of mine has had quite a lot of time off work over the last year or so due to multiple pregnancy losses. It's had quite an impact on both her physical and mental health. Her doctor has signed her off sick for 2 weeks and her employers have decided that they are going to conduct a 'home visit'. She's worried that she is going to get the sack...Can anyone tell me whether her company would be breaking the law if they did sack her? I'm pretty sure that they would, but I am not a lawyer!

cupcake78 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:36:16

I took a month off after each loss and then a phased return. I doubt they'll sack her. They're more likely to want to see what they can do to get her back to work and that might involve seeking out some counselling, phased return, keeping in touch days etc.

HermioneWeasley Tue 04-Feb-14 18:18:55

There's no specific protection for miscarriages, but they need to act reasonably. If this is the first meeting then it is very unlikely she will be dismissed at this stage. It's perfectly normal for employers to conduct meetings with employees who have had a lot of absence.

Is she getting any treatment for the multiple miscarriages?

Spaghettinetti Wed 05-Feb-14 07:48:17

Thanks for your responses. Sorry to hear of your losses cupcake.

I believe that this is the first meeting. As I understand it, she has had 3 miscarriages, so is only now eligible for treatment. She is being referred to a consultant, so may start some form of treatment soon.

I don't think she's in the habit of taking time off willy nilly, but has had at least 5 weeks off in the last year due to this matter. In my mind, if she has a doctor's note, she obviously needs the time to recover, but I really do get the feeling that her employers aren't too sympathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now