Unions?

(6 Posts)
ShadowOfTheDay Mon 03-Feb-14 09:51:53

I have never been in a job where there has been no union presence at all in the work place.... have usually started work, been approached by a rep and joined whatever union is the workplace standard...

I started work as a shop worker in Sept and there is no-one in any union at all here - I know the employer can't insist on staff not being in a union, but wondered if I can join a union "on my own" as it were, without any support from management or other workers... I have just always seen belonging to a union as part of employment and am a bit flummoxed by the lack of one....

flowery Mon 03-Feb-14 10:35:30

You can certainly join a union on your own, and should contact the relevant union directly.

Realistically, you are likely to get much less value for your union fee than you do in a unionised workplace, where unions are involved in consultations, negotiating terms and conditions, that type of thing.

From an individual membership, you'd still get advice, and could bring a union official to disciplinary/grievance hearings, that type of thing.

EBearhug Mon 03-Feb-14 23:04:28

Yes, you can - I'm a union member with no recognised union in my workplace, and I've had reason to be glad of their advice, but I've used some of their other services, too.

ShadowOfTheDay Tue 04-Feb-14 09:05:27

thank you both - thought it should be possible, just never had to "select" a union and approach it myself before...

EBearhug Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:33

You can find a suitable union here - www.worksmart.org.uk/unionfinder/

ShadowOfTheDay Wed 05-Feb-14 09:22:52

thank you....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now