You need a written formal job offer before you hand in your notice right?

(37 Posts)
jimijack Tue 14-Jan-14 13:23:43

It's been years since I applied for and got a job so not sure what protocol is nowadays.

At the beginning of November I had an interview and was offered the job there & then verbally.
Didn't hear anything for 4 weeks so I rang them and yes, the job was still mine but they were sorting stuff.

I got a letter from their HR asking for documentation..all pretty standard stuff but it wasn't worded as a job offer.

I can't hand in my notice till I have this can I? Or can I?
WWYD?

JeanSeberg Tue 14-Jan-14 16:49:48

You said they'd asked for your pay slip to decide what to pay you?

jimijack Tue 14-Jan-14 17:09:11

Yes, they gave a broad range, band 5/6 was on the advert, when I've asked which it is, they say they don't know yet.

I'm a band 7 scale in my current job.

I presume it's based on experience.
See what I mean, confusing & odd.

tribpot Tue 14-Jan-14 17:12:18

So why would they need your pay slip? You're already above top of band.

lekkerslaap Tue 14-Jan-14 19:06:57

I really hope you didn't give them your payslip or you accepted a salary lower than what you are on.

They sound like an absolute bunch of muppets. Is it any wonder they are having trouble trying to recruit?

I would have lost interest by now.

EBearhug Tue 14-Jan-14 23:59:06

What everyone else says.

I once had a phone offer of a job after interview. Their funding was pulled before I got any paperwork.

shoom Wed 15-Jan-14 00:08:40

It may have seemed like a fantastic opportunity, but surely you're rethinking things now with the additional information you have?

I wouldn't touch them, but if you're keen then as a pp advised , just respond to any request by asking to see a formal offer. Otherwise prepare for a lovely new role where they already know they can behave unprofessionally and unreasonably and you'll accept it. They're supposed to be wooing you! It's not going to improve once you've resigned from your current job and they know they have you.

StarlightMcKingsThree Wed 15-Jan-14 00:27:32

You're going to be an independent supporter right?

holidaysarenice Wed 15-Jan-14 00:40:46

You won't necessarily go in at the top of that band just because u have worked as a 7.

So band 5 about 20thous and band 6 about 26000 that may help to make you decide.

If your job is what I think it is.

Redcliff Wed 15-Jan-14 16:12:06

We ask to see people’s pay slips in order to match their current salary within a band - I don't think it's that odd a request.

tribpot Wed 15-Jan-14 16:55:02

Most people don't move jobs for the same salary, though.

flowery Wed 15-Jan-14 20:29:27

I would think most employers if they didn't trust the potential employee to be telling the truth about their current salary would request the information as part of a reference check.

jimijack Thu 16-Jan-14 10:57:03

I am willing to take a drop in pay because the hours are really good and would mean I won't have to shell out for childcare.

Still not heard from them.

Sticking to my current job, will have to find the money for childcare somehow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now