Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Poor business practices- resign without another job?

(14 Posts)
Jossysgiants Mon 13-Jan-14 15:02:20

I have worked for my company for 2 years and have been relatively content. For career management reasons I have been exploring other options and am in interview process for 3 positions ( all career enhancing and more money). Over the last few weeks there is an issue with a client which has been troubling me a great deal - the way the client is being handled to me displays a lack of integrity on the part of the senior management team. I fear that my own professional reputation could be tarnished by this. I am sorely tempted to quit over this and just continue my job search. I can suck up a couple of months of no salary. However I wonder how detrimental this is going to be to my position for these roles and if I am not successful in any of these opportunities I will be seeking a job from a weaker position. It is a buoyant market though. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation or anyone who can offer any advice on how i would handle this while interviewing?

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 15:03:52

Not sure what the issue with the client is but is it something that comes under the company whistleblowing policy?

Jossysgiants Mon 13-Jan-14 15:08:35

Hi - no it's a bit more grey than that I think.

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 15:13:31

How likely is it that this issue will come out? I'd stay put as you are in a weak position with no job (both financially and career-wise).

flowery Mon 13-Jan-14 15:19:11

If you are interviewing for three other positions I would hang on, as presumably you will know the outcome relatively soon. If you get a job, you can resign. If none of them come through, you can reevaluate your position and decide at that point whether the situation is so serious you cannot continue working there regardless of your own job prospects and financial situation.

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 15:20:08

Love your user name by the way!

Jossysgiants Mon 13-Jan-14 15:28:42

Thanks both - will stay put. Will have to sit on my hands to avoid typing out my resignation letter...:-) fingers crossed one of these jobs will come through. In my experience though it is always when you really want a job that you cock up the interviews!!!!

jeanseberg football's just a branch of science ....

flowery Mon 13-Jan-14 15:38:48

Having given that advice, I did once resign without a confirmed job to go to, only an interview booked. Luckily I got the job, but I wouldn't advise that strategy!

Jossysgiants Mon 13-Jan-14 15:50:44

I think if I don't have an offer in the next 2 weeks or so I will have to do that flowery as I need to see the light at the end if the tunnel.

JeanSeberg Mon 13-Jan-14 15:52:05

football's just a branch of science

Aah, you've brought back some memories. I still know the theme tune off by heart!

Good luck with the interviews, let us know how you get on.

Jossysgiants Mon 13-Jan-14 18:40:05

Thanks - will keep you posted!

EBearhug Mon 13-Jan-14 22:40:56

Will have to sit on my hands to avoid typing out my resignation letter

You can always do that anyway - just don't send it! It can be very stress-relieving to write your (most honest) resignation letter, but in my case at least, it would need quite a bit of rewriting before I could actually give it in (plus I need to find another job first.)

Jossysgiants Tue 14-Jan-14 07:18:46

That is a great idea ebearhug. I just need to find a safe way of blowing off steam over the next few weeks as hopefully I will get a new job soon.

lekkerslaap Tue 14-Jan-14 19:10:34

No, I wouldn't resign but it would prompt me to press on with the job search.

Plenty of companies out there play dirty. It's just normally very few staff actually find out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now