Been offered extra work - what pay rise should I ask for?

(14 Posts)
magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 18:02:26

Basically I've been offered part of someone else's role on top of mine to help save the company money and prevent another employee being hired. This work would be the equivalent of about a day extra a week on top of my current role, interspersed within my workload (so it's not entirely cut and dried as a separate role).

When first discussing this, my manager said I wouldn't get "extra" money for taking up this offer but I would be up for a "pay rise". As this would be approx. 20% extra work, should I go for and try and negotiate a 20% pay rise?

Normally pay rises in the company are only in the region of about 4%. I got the impression this is what my manager meant but it wouldn't be worth taking up the new role if I was only going to get a few pounds extra a month.

lougle Tue 17-Dec-13 18:21:41

I can't imagine they'd give you a 20% payrise, or they may as well hire someone else. Also, it's interspersed with your current workload so there must be 'slack' to take it up.

You may find you could push for 6 or even 8% though.

magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 18:25:27

No, if they gave me a 28% payrise that would be the same as hiring someone else - I worked it out grin

I would be expected to work extra hours beyond my current contract so that would need changing, for starters.

Waggamamma Tue 17-Dec-13 19:27:26

If you are being asked to work say 8 extra hours in the week your salary should increase by 8 hours worth of pay per week. They can't ask you to take on more and not pay you for it shock

is the extra work at the same responsibility level or is it more senior than your current role? if it's also more responsibility then you should be paid for the extra hours at the next salary band.

ggirl Tue 17-Dec-13 19:30:05

I have just negotiated a 40% pay rise so it is possible!

magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 19:40:16

Well done ggirl!! How did you do that? shock

It's about the same responsibility level, but it would mean extra hours and a hell of a lot of work around project deadline time (several times a year).

Surely you should be paid for the extra hours, unless you are not already busy within the hours you work.

magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 19:54:10

It's trickier when people are on perm salaried contracts to negotiate pay rises compared to those on hourly, I reckon.

My manager gave the impression that extra hours should just be sucked up. A pay rise would be more of a token of appreciation than a reflection of the extra hours.

Neverland2013 Tue 17-Dec-13 19:59:09

I think 20% increase is a good start but be prepared that they may negotiate down. From OP's perspective, the salary increase must be worthwhile otherwise you will start to resent the new responsibilities in the future as you wouldn't feel valued.

Waggamamma Tue 17-Dec-13 20:06:01

it shouldn't matter whether you are salaried or paid hourly, extra work on an ongoing basis (not a once off) should mean you get paid for it.

For example I am on £25k per year salary but I only work three days so I only earn £15k (pro rata). So if I worked 4 days I would earn £20k.
Can you work our your daily rate and ask your salary to be increased by that? I can't see anything else being fair otherwise you're taking on the extra work for free hmm .

magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 20:13:53

Thanks, I will go and request 20%. My manager proposed that it would be a good chance to build my leadership skills as it will mean leading a small team for the first time. However if they're not willing to pay me a signficant amount extra for a lot more work, then I'm not sure it's worth it. A shame as I'll never get a payrise otherwise.

ggirl Tue 17-Dec-13 20:24:44

I was successfull largely because I have the skills they need and they have been asking me to take on a permanent role for ages and finally they said 'what can we do that would make you take on this role?'

I asked for 40% payrise ,qualifying it with why I deserved it . They agreed instantly and followed with 'and what hrs do you want' win!!

Was worth holding out forsmile. This is NHS .

magicbiscuits Tue 17-Dec-13 20:29:04

Wow a public sector role as well! Respect!

ServicePlease Tue 17-Dec-13 20:33:40

I am holding out for a 30% payrise at the moment.

Getting you to do more hours is waaaaay less recruitment and ongoing cost, hassle and hr focus of having another employee. I would say you want an additional 20% plus a bit extra for taking on more leadership responsibility and project work. Is this really feasible if you are already ft and working to capacity?

I really think (if you are already ft) you should get part of your current role reassigned and take on this new responsibility as a career development move with a smaller rise to 'reflect these new challenges'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now