Schools jobs and payscales

(6 Posts)
Hehehee Fri 29-Nov-13 16:59:29

I am a very low ranking finance officer in a school.

When I took the job I didn't really care about the money. I'd taken redundancy from a very good job and this was very much about getting out of the house/being involved in the local community.

I went in at the bottom of the payscale for the band and didn't question that.

I have now been offered a promotion - still support staff band but the next one up. I expect to be offered the bottom of the scale again. Is it worth my while asking for closer to the spine point? I am overqualified for the job and offering more than they need so I do think I will earn my money iyswim but I don't know if it's just that's the offer and that's it or if there is room for negotiation. I don't want to cause a fuss/appear greedy if there's genuinely nothing that can be done or if it is always the done thing that people go in at the bottom of the scale. At the same time I don't want to be taken advantage of/miss my opportunity to get a bit more!

Talkinpeace Fri 29-Nov-13 17:27:20

think like a man
not a fluffy woman
aim high

Hehehee Fri 29-Nov-13 17:33:15

LOL

I know how to negotiate having worked very much in a man's world in the private sector previously and earned a very nice salary.

In the schools though salaries seem to be far more fixed with less (no?) room for negotiation and I don't want to rock the boat if there really is no room for negotiation.

If I think there is I will go for it hard grin but if there's really nothing the head can do, not much point.

Talkinpeace Fri 29-Nov-13 17:34:54

definitely point out your skills and ask for a couple of increments at the outset - heads have a lot more flexibility than they ever let on
especially in academies

auntpetunia Sat 30-Nov-13 19:34:00

If the bottom of the new scale is less than your current scale paypoint then point that out and ask to be raised up the scale so you actually get a decent payrise. I did this a number of years ago swapped LEAs and although the grade number was better I would have been worse off so asked for and got several increments straight away. Did mean I don't have as many chances for payrise as no more increments.

Hehehee Sun 01-Dec-13 06:54:07

Thank you I will have a go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now