If you felt work was making you ill, would you give it up?

(11 Posts)
carolmillen Fri 22-Nov-13 21:28:32

I have acute stress, brought on by years of pushing myself too hard at work, changing jobs - always pushing and striving. But it has all taken its toll. When I compare how I am on now to how I was even a couple of years ago, I'm a bit of a mess tbh. I am always tired, pale and stressed - even when there is nothing to stress about - and I only work part-time now.

DH says I should just quit - I just don't know what to do.

mybeautifullife Fri 22-Nov-13 21:30:41

What sort of work do you do

NotALondoner Fri 22-Nov-13 21:31:07

If it wouldn't leave you in a financial mess, quit. Mental health should always always come first.

Methe Fri 22-Nov-13 21:32:08

Yes. You only live once. Resign and, if you can afford to, have 6 months off.

Hope you feel better soon smile

carolmillen Fri 22-Nov-13 21:33:50

It's mid level/management - but my line of work probably isn't that relevant. It's more that I have always pushed myself more than is necessary - working extra hours, always going for the promotion, changing jobs etc. And I'm a worrier too - not a good combination.

NotALondoner Fri 22-Nov-13 21:48:06

What about moving to a lower level job? One where you just do the work rather than tell others what to do? I have never worked in a supermarket but I always think a shelf stacking job looks quite mellow. There was a vicar who wrote a book about his supermarket job, it sounded relaxing. Do what is beneficial to your mental health always.

fuckwittery Fri 22-Nov-13 21:50:56

I did. Was vomiting with stress every sunday night, terrible migraines.
Plam was to have years break (managable financially) and then set up my own business.

whereiseveryone Fri 22-Nov-13 22:34:18

Yes, I was that person.

I have worked less, changed careers and I'm currently back to my original career but as a contractor. I am perfectionist but will never make my job my top priority again.

I'm very sensitive to my environment and the people around me. (Have a tendency to suck up all the negative energy). Could this be you maybe?

My career change was a very easy job (i.e. just turn up, do my thing, go home, forget about it type of job) and I'm amazed how quickly the frustration and stress has started to build in my current job. It really does takes its toll and to be honest I really don't think that the vast majority of jobs are worth it.

ElephantsEye Sat 23-Nov-13 11:57:25

My first reaction is to say yes, if you can afford to, give it up for the sake of your health.

However. Perhaps you actually enjoy most aspects of it. Perhaps it's your own personality type that makes you push and strive and work extra hours. If so, then it's likely that you would take this attitude with you into another job, however mundane.

A worrier stacking shelves is still a worrier!

Try to step back and re-assess your current job, perhaps with help from a colleague or a manager. Identify the real priorities. No doubt these will have changed over time. Perhaps some processes could be improved or removed.

It can be hard to see the wood from the trees at times. I've been there. Good luck.

carolmillen Tue 26-Nov-13 20:40:29

Thanks for all your advice. I think I need to resolve some of the conflicts within my own personality - wanting to strive but then being a total worrier. Before I make any rash decisions, I'm going to try to be a bit more detached from work and see if that helps.

mybeautifullife Tue 26-Nov-13 22:35:50

Sometimes I feel the same. Then I think of the alternative... Not doing the job, and I realise I want to continue its just I am a bit of a perfectionist and take all he worry on board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now