Formal grievance: will I be asked to give a statement?

(8 Posts)
CantThinkOfANC Thu 21-Nov-13 23:38:40

Colleague A has put in a formal grievance about Boss B. They told me yesterday as they'd named me in their statement - one of their issues is the way B has handled some work I require them to do, which they don't want to do.

I don't think A has a leg to stand on as they are currently, publicly failing several of the professional standards targets we have (although meeting their technical performance targets) and the grievance is based within this area - not the principle of the work but the way it's been handled. B asked them to behave within professional/reasonable parameters, they refused and allege B is picking on them. I have been party to a lot of this discussion, hence being so certain A has got it factually wrong (although obviously they feel that way, which they have every right to do).

My company is very good at employee support and seem to be taking it very seriously. Therefore I expect the procedure will be followed to the letter/expected standards.

Is it usual for other people to be asked to give statements/in for a chat if they have been named on the grievance form? I don't want to ask HR as I don't think A should have told me and the process is in very early stages - I don't want to look like a gossip (small office). Also therefore I can't look it up on our Intranet as my screen (double, large) is visible to most of the room.

I'd like to understand what, if anything, to expect. Any experience is gratefully received, thank you. smile

Neverland2013 Thu 21-Nov-13 23:42:56

An Evil HR lady here...yes, I would expect that you would be required to provide a formal statement.

CantThinkOfANC Thu 21-Nov-13 23:47:04

Thank you. I want to stay as far out of this as possible but I don't want to be caught on the hop - I've got very strong opinions about A as their refusal to do the task would have (if B hadn't stepped in) lumbered me with extra work that I couldn't have coped with (genuinely - I work many evenings and some weekends, which I accept as part of my job but that doesn't mean I want to take on someone else's work that they are capable of doing!). I'll have a think about something that is a bit more polite to say (whilst supporting what B did) if/when I get asked smile

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 22-Nov-13 07:44:46

In what context have they named you?

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 22-Nov-13 07:46:32

If it's to support them I'd just reflect on it and say that 'Yes B is asking A to do their job to the standards as specified, I can't see why I am here as that's the job and those are the standards that we should all work to'.

ithaka Fri 22-Nov-13 07:58:20

As a formal grievance has been raised, a good employer will conduct an investigation. In the course of this you are likely to be interviewed/asked for a statement.

Do bear in mind that this is a grievance, not a disciplinary, so your employer is not obliged to let A see the investigation report, but if they are a scrupulous employer they may provide it, if asked. This means that A may see the contents of your statement, so just be aware of that. Keep it factual and brief and avoid personal comments or opinion, is my advice.

CantThinkOfANC Fri 22-Nov-13 08:08:19

Thank you. A is aware of my opinions but I will use something similar to Funky's suggestion, which is more neutral.

A has named me as they gave one of their reasons for the grievance as Function X and the way B had dealt with him over it. I am in charge of Function X and asked B for support when A decided not to do the work (having signed up to it previously). It's impossible to talk about X without using my name as an integral part of X.

AlyssB Thu 28-Nov-13 22:41:05

I am also an evil HR lady smile and totally agree with the others. Keep to the facts so examples of why you went to X to ask for help dealing with this person, what X said, what has happened since. I would keep away from sashaying they are publicly failing standards etc unless you are responsible for monitoring them, as HR will know or find this out in the course of their investigation anyway.

You'll be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now