Is this harrassment?

(22 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Tue 12-Nov-13 11:07:54

Employers keep sending me to doctors even though I protest
I am sick of it I have seen 30 odd doctors and now hate them
I used to be ok with them but now I have even stopped going for my mear tests as the docs mistakes in the past put me off
This has been going on for 7 years and I cannot get any help as thery are interfering I do not like the fact that unqualified people are ordering me re my health I have had to change GP with all the inconvenince of this Just to get my treatment...

prh47bridge Tue 12-Nov-13 11:51:12

Why are they sending you to see the doctor? Are they ordering you to go or recommending that you go?

Putthatbookdown Tue 12-Nov-13 14:29:52

They are ordering me to go The first time there was some justification as I appeared unwell However since then they have been using it as a kind of threat The problem is the doctors have said it will not work and so they do not see justification I have explained TO ALL MANAGERS AND HR and OCC health that this is not really working on medical advice I think the Managers -all unqualified unprofessional people ASSUME that the doctors know because doctors are better than me but the TRUTH is I know more than the doctors i CAN PROVE THIS
I am fed up with treated like this I am fed up with their belief in these crappy doctors It is counterproductive anyway because I am not on the exactly right treatment AND IF THEY HAD NOT INTEFERED i MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ON THE RIGHT TREATMENT
tHIS IS NOT ABOUT MY HEALTH ANYMORE It is about power

yummumto3girls Tue 12-Nov-13 15:16:34

Sorry you second post makes absolutely no sense at all, try explaining exactly what the health issues are that you are being sent to Oc Health for!?

eurochick Tue 12-Nov-13 15:18:34

I'm sorry but I just can't make head nor tail of what is going on here. I have no idea what the health issues are, why your employers are involved and what you think might be harrassment. Can you start again, step by step?

Putthatbookdown Tue 12-Nov-13 16:26:59

If you read the main post we are discussing the rights of employers to send people to doctors not to OCC health. Employers can send staff to Occ health so there is no dispute here It is their right to force people to go to doctors we are questioning here
So if the Doctors advice is the medical thing will not work I am asking why these plongers keep insisting that it will Sending someone somewhere they do not want to go repeatedly feels like harrassment

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Tue 12-Nov-13 16:31:31

I am sorry, people are keen to help, but you are still not making much sense.

If your employer is concerned that your job is damaging your physical or mental health - or that you are medically unfit for work- then they are perfectly within their rights, and indeed are obliged, to try and find out what the issue is. Occupational health is one route to do this, but it isn't always enough on it's own and it is common to ask employees to attend doctors to obtain a report.

Putthatbookdown Tue 12-Nov-13 16:38:15

Yes it is common to ask not force someone

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Tue 12-Nov-13 16:41:47

You've not made it clear in what way they are 'forcing' you though. What are they doing that is forcing?

prh47bridge Tue 12-Nov-13 17:11:09

Reading between the lines it sounds like you have a health problem which is affecting your work. Is that correct?

You say you can prove that you know better than doctors what treatment you need. Unless you are a doctor yourself it is very unlikely that you would be able to persuade the courts of that, whatever proof you think you have.

You say they are forcing you to go. In what way?

Putthatbookdown Wed 13-Nov-13 12:44:41

The doctors themselves have told me it will not work therefore that is the medical opinion I have followed medical advise However, the employers are going against the medical opinion and insisiting it will work The doctors have said it is impossible

ginmakesitallok Wed 13-Nov-13 12:57:24

If you have a health issue which is affecting your ability to do your job, and if there is nothing which can be done medically to help you then your employers have to look at making reasonable adjustment to your job, and if that is not possible they can dismiss you. Why are they sending you back to the doctors? Are they trying to help?

Putthatbookdown Wed 13-Nov-13 13:13:30

I have told them repeatedly that the doctors have said it will not work It is obvious after seeing 30 odd doctors that this is correct I have asked them why they keep sending me and they keep saying it will work THEY ARE GOING AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE originally I think they were trying to help but it seems like some kind of harrassment now
I have asked them to prove how wonderful these doctors are and they are not able to do so

NCISaddict Wed 13-Nov-13 13:22:15

You're still not really making sense. What are the health issues and how are they affecting your work? If you are off work or unable to do your job then your employers have a duty of care towards you.

ginmakesitallok Wed 13-Nov-13 13:24:59

Is there a particular doctor they want you to see? Have you been to occupational health? What have they said? Is there a particular therapy they want you to have?

Are you off work at the moment?

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Wed 13-Nov-13 13:26:10

You still aren't making sense I'm afraid. You've said that "the doctors have said it will not work" and then say that you have "asked them to prove how wonderful these doctors are". Which is it, are you in agreement with the doctors or not? Or is it that you agree with the opinion of one doctor and want that followed rather than the majority opinion of another group?

Putthatbookdown Thu 14-Nov-13 10:55:22

medical advice is it will not work so I am going along with the doctors but the employers who are not medically qualified are overriding the doctors Employers are not qualified to give medical advice or opinions at all but they do have aduty of care but that is all.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Thu 14-Nov-13 10:57:52

I'm sorry, it's still not clear what you are talking about, or what you want us to say or help with. I think maybe you need an appointment with the CAB or somewhere to help you out. Good luck.

mariefab Thu 14-Nov-13 12:08:39

Are you saying that your employer has decided that you need a particular type of medical treatment/drug etc. (let's call it A)?
Your employer keeps sending you to one doctor after another to get A.
All these doctors say that A won't help you and you don't need it.
But your employer refuses to accept this?

DropYourSword Thu 14-Nov-13 12:17:57

Something odd somewhere along the line here. Very difficult to help with the minimal information you've provided but it seems that you are in a power struggle. It sounds like you are absolutely digging your heels in with this (maybe for good reason...don't know enough about your situation) so maybe they don't believe you actually ARE visiting the doctors and you're just dismissing whatever they are suggesting. They must have SOME reason to believe whatever it is they are suggesting would help whatever the issue is. It just doesn't make a lot of sense that they would continue trying for it if THIRTY doctors have advised it wouldn't work?!

ShreddedHoops Thu 14-Nov-13 12:35:53

It doesn't sound great - can you tell us more specifically what your medical issue is? Is it affecting your work? It doesn't make sense if they have made you see 30?! different doctors. The opinion of one should always be enough for occupational health issues.

Floggingmolly Thu 14-Nov-13 12:40:55

Are you suggesting your employers are imposing a course of treatment on you that's not recommended by your doctor(s)? hmm
Does your health problem impact on your ability to do your job?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now