What is typical holiday entitlement these days?

(20 Posts)
dottygamekeeper Wed 06-Nov-13 23:49:19

I am returning to work after 10 years at home with the children (though have done some ad hoc part time work along the way). I have just been offered a job with great potential, working from home 4 hours per day initially, with scope to move up to full time, and to take on increased responsibility. The pay is at the lower end of what I had hoped for based on my qualifications and experience, but they have said they will review it after 3 months, and there is scope to develop the role into training, which I think will command a much better rate, so as a way of getting back into the workplace it sounds ideal.

However, the holiday allowance is 20 days per annum (I am assuming bank holidays will be in addition to this) - how typical is this, my husband says it is low (he gets 30 days but is in very senior, city based job). Should I try to negotiate for more? It is for a US based company, (with only 2 other UK based employees at the moment) although the job is here - I think in the States they typically have much less holiday allowances than here, so not sure if this is affecting the terms.

Any thoughts/advice?

HeeHiles Wed 06-Nov-13 23:56:21

20 is the standard starting point - 30 is very generous! Lucky man and yes BH will be on top - job sounds great - take it and good luck!

Don't forget that it will be pro rated while you are part-time. I work part-time and my leave entitlement is calculated in hours, rather than days.

Bunbaker Thu 07-Nov-13 06:49:26

I agree with HeeHiles. Full time starters get 23 days where I work, but we need to keep 3 days for Christmas as we close between Christmas and new year. So they have 20 days to take as and when they like - within reason.

Even the senior managers don't get 30 days at our place.

Lagoonablue Thu 07-Nov-13 06:50:43

I used to get 37! Happy days in the public sector til the cuts kicked in. Now I get 25.

Lagoonablue Thu 07-Nov-13 06:51:01

Cuts I mean

DorisShutt Thu 07-Nov-13 06:53:15

Statutory requirement is 28 days for full time staff - but this can be expressed as 20 personal days plus 8 statutory.

Part time staff should receive pro rata days or hours.

deXavia Thu 07-Nov-13 06:58:40

20 is about right - unfortunately 30 only happens with continuous working and time in role.
But yes do check the part time implication or if they do mean 20 regardless of part time hours.
For me its actually been the hardest bit to get use to but has meant DH has taken time off on his own with the kids which they have loved.

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 07-Nov-13 07:01:35

The legal minimum is 28 but that includes bank hols so 20 is the legal minimum. So it will be pro-rataed down so that you will get 20 lots of 4 hours paid; and 8 of those are likely to be on bank hols.

TheDoctrineOfWho Thu 07-Nov-13 07:02:06

Another who agrees 20 is pretty standard and as a US company they are unlikely to offer above statutory.

I'm sure your DH didn't have 30 days when he started. However, it's good he has so many as he can do more of the "children being sick" cover to balance things out.

Waggamamma Thu 07-Nov-13 07:21:25

I am in a national voluntary sector organisation, not management level. I get 35 days per year (pro ratad to 21 days).

These can be taken when I like but everybody seems to keep some back for xmas but we don't need to.

Willthisworknow Thu 07-Nov-13 22:29:59

25 is what seems to be standard plus bank hols plus increase with continued employ

BlackandGold Fri 08-Nov-13 21:00:29

DD gets 23 days plus BH and I get 33 plus BH plus Christmas to New Year closure!!

MumblingMummy Sat 09-Nov-13 19:35:16

I am in the private sector and get 27 days plus bank holidays and we close between xmas eve and new year's day so very generous. My sister however gets 35 plus the above. Wish i worked there! American companies are renowned for low number of holidays ime.

RubyrooUK Sat 09-Nov-13 19:42:35

I work in the private sector. Ours starts at 20 and rises each year to a maximum of 30.

I think 20 is pretty standard in the private sector. The only people I know who have better than that without any length of service are in very senior positions or in the public sector. Most people I know get more holidays by working in the same place over time.

nextphase Sat 09-Nov-13 19:44:09

Holiday entitlement would be non negotiable at our place - there is NO WAY they would allow some people to have more hols than others - but then there is no additional holiday for time in service.

Could you consider asking for a 4 hr/day annual average - so 6 hrs a day in term time, and nearly nothing in school holidays? They would play ball with this option.

I'd go for it. Sounds great.

ArabellaBeaumaris Sat 09-Nov-13 20:07:26

I get 28 days plus bank holidays. I can buy 5 extra days over 12 months.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sat 09-Nov-13 20:15:03

I get 27 plus bank holidays. We have the option to buy an additional 3 days as well.

I work for a large US owned company, although we were previously British owned when we got 25 days with the option to buy 5.

Bunbaker Sat 09-Nov-13 20:33:24

We get an option to "buy" extra days as well. Up to 6 if you are full time.

EBearhug Sat 09-Nov-13 23:39:28

I work for a US company (which always has been), and we get 25 days as standard. I think it's only the people in the Netherlands who have the option of buying more days, where I think it's a legal right to be able to request it, though I could be wrong about that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now