attendance meeting whilst off work with pregnancy related sickness that runs straight into mat leave

(9 Posts)
ravenfews Tue 05-Nov-13 16:46:33

Hi I'm signed off work for the next 4 weeks, and then my maternity leave starts. I've been invited to an attendance meeting with HR. I spoke to HR about the meeting because i feel it's a bit pointless. HR said it's not compulsory, but I should attend so they can "offer me support". I honestly don't know realisticly what support they can give in 4 weeks when I'm not at work! I'm not sure what to do, if I say I don't want to attend would this look bad?

mojojomo Tue 05-Nov-13 20:50:09

It could be part of the process that any longish-term absence would trigger. I.E. they'd say "right you're off for another few weeks, what do we need to start planning or doing now to ease things for you when you do return" e.g. different duties or equipment or a phased return. It might seem pointless to you if your current absence is due to a temporary illness/issue but there could be circumstances in which your current absence affects your long-term employment e.g. if you had an accident and lost use of your writing hand, they'd need to think about that even if you were off for a year of maternity leave.

You could ask to do the meeting by telephone, attend in person or give your reasons why you don't think it's necessary.

ravenfews Tue 05-Nov-13 21:31:25

Yes I think the idea is to support return to work. But I will not be returning to work for a year as I'll be off on mat leave. As my illness is pregnancy related it will hopefully resolve itself once I'm no longer pregnant so shouldn't affect long term employment.

Lionessnurturingcubs Fri 08-Nov-13 01:32:08

Raven - If you are off sick in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy, your employer can start your maternity leave early so I would imagine that is what they want to discuss.
See maternity action.org.uk for more info.

ravenfews Sun 10-Nov-13 23:12:51

I'm going on leave at 34 weeks pregnant so this isn't relevant....

Lionessnurturingcubs Mon 11-Nov-13 10:26:15

OK apologies. When you said you were signed off for four weeks, I assumed you meant sick. You also mentioned pregnancy related illness? The point I was making is: If you are off sick at any time in the four weeks prior to your maternity leave starting then they CAN start your maternity leave early. If this doesn't apply, then apologies.

Rockchick1984 Mon 11-Nov-13 11:54:30

Lioness they can only make you start mat leave from 36 weeks with pregnancy related illness. If Raven is starting her mat leave at 34 weeks then it doesn't matter if she is off prior to this with pregnancy related sickness.

ravenfews Mon 11-Nov-13 12:55:05

Sorry I should be clearer. I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant. I'm signed off with preg related sickness for next 4 weeks and then I'm due to go on mat leave. I'm querying the relevance of an attendance meeting with HR when I'm sisgned off with preg related sickness and then will be on leave for a yr. I'm told the purpose of meeting is to support me back to work but firstly I won't be going back for a year due to mat leave and secondly my sickness is pregnancy related so should naturally resolve itslef in Jan when I give birth confused

Barney1 Mon 11-Nov-13 14:32:09

I suggest you attend the meeting as this would be a prudent and professional approach and hear what they have to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now