How do I deal with this woman?

(15 Posts)
bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:00:27

I've been back a year since ML and the woman I work with (a secretary) has been a bit of a pain to be honest. She's quite dominant and bossy and didn't take kindly to me coming back part time, and had complained loudly about it (she's single with no kids).

On one of my days off recently a new workspace was offered to us, and as she was the only one in, her and a senior manager went to check it out. She has taken it upon herself to bag herself the biggest room (nothing in them yet). Then she showed me the smallest room and said, 'that's yours!' I'm pretty fuming as she has a habit of this stuff. I need to find a way to put my foot down - I need a bigger room as I do a lot of coaching. She doesn't have other people in her office. Please help!!!confused

bookishandblondish Tue 05-Nov-13 08:07:56

Are there only two rooms?

And how small is the small room? Lack of furniture can be deceiving in terms of space.
Is the coaching part of your official role at work? And is it one to one or do you also have groups.

YouAreMyFavouriteWasteOfTime Tue 05-Nov-13 08:13:10

bordello - is she your boss? she talks like she is!

bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:14:25

Hiya no she'd not my boss. I'm above her, though not directly a boss to her.

bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:16:32

Bookish there's lots of rooms, though she's allocated all of them it seems

RubySparks Brazil Tue 05-Nov-13 08:16:59

From her point of view what would be the point of you having the bigger room if you are not there part of the week?

bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:20:09

Ruby, I'm not sure how that makes a difference tbh, and also I will be going back full time at some point soon

bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:20:58

She's also put herself in a bigger room than her boss ( who is partially sighted and so I don't think realises)

YouAreMyFavouriteWasteOfTime Tue 05-Nov-13 08:23:42

she sounds annoying but you need to focus on business needs e.g. you need space for coaching. does her boss need space for meetings?

it sounds like the allocation needs a review based on how many people need to use a room at the same time.

NandH Tue 05-Nov-13 08:26:02

Your boss needs to allocate the rooms, simple.

OR

you tell her to get her head out her arse and allocate yourself what room you want, you then move all your stuff into said room and lastly you leave a note on the closed/locked door listing the reasons you find that room appropriate for you to use smile

get a back bone and tell her to fuck off also smile

bordellosboheme Tue 05-Nov-13 08:38:37

NandHgrin

Well, what kind of secretary is she? Are lots if people coming in to arrange things? Drop off? Post people? Connections for all of you? You could be under estimating her role as blinkered by your own needs.

Tbh I don't agree that senior gets bigger room. Job necessity only. If you are only there say 3 days and only one full day of appointments, it may not be a great use of space to leave it sitting unused. Could u use meeting rooms? Make her book them?

Also is there any confidentiality issues between who she works for requiring additional filing etc space. Just a thought...

Are not is

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 05-Nov-13 21:00:46

Call a meeting to discuss the new workspace. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now