Sick leave?

(8 Posts)
BlackandGold Mon 04-Nov-13 20:24:26

Well, I'm surprised that he's allowed to take part in training if he is still off sick. That should have been postponed until his return from sick leave.

Why is he expected back in if he is still "signed off"?

I too would find this annoying; you're either off sick or you're not.

BillyBanter Mon 04-Nov-13 20:19:43

So he is signed off but has attended a course and is coming in for some of your busy time, ie doing more than he should be?

hermioneweasley Mon 04-Nov-13 20:17:01

Well, he's shown you how he feels about your friendship and support and you can act accordingly whe he returns.

Someone will be along to say "you dodn't sound very compassionate OP" etc etc. ignore. While some sickness absence is unavoidable, much is people taking advantage.

CrystalSkull Mon 04-Nov-13 20:12:42

That's how I feel. I was so sympathetic when he had his accident - he used to call me every day needing to be cheered up, and I visited him several times (not that that matters)! - but now I just feel taken for a ride.

hermioneweasley Mon 04-Nov-13 20:04:34

It sounds like he's taking the piss. I am extremely tough on this sort of thing as it pisses of everyone else.

CrystalSkull Mon 04-Nov-13 20:02:10

No, he is still signed off. So in reality he shouldn't be working at all, which I'd have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is him going off to the training last week - which he could have done another time - and then continuing to take time off this week as and when it suits him. I know it's none of my business and I don't plan to make an issue of it, but I can't help but feel annoyed about it.

flowery Mon 04-Nov-13 19:51:33

If he is back to work "cherry picking" his days, presumably that means he has been given a fit note by his doctor saying he is fit to return to work on reduced hours?

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion about whether he is fit for more work than his doctor thinks he is fit for, but there's not a lot you can do about it, and at only 8 weeks off, if a doctor says he's not fit for full time work, it's not a case of your boss needing to "stand up to" this person, it's a case of waiting out the fit note and if he is signed as only partially fit again and the boss wants a second opinion, he can seek one.

CrystalSkull Mon 04-Nov-13 18:15:34

I've NC'ed for this.

I have a colleague who has been signed off sick for 8 weeks with a broken leg. I have been very sympathetic over his sick leave, but I now feel that he is milking it.

He is now feeling much better, so much so that he did an intensive training course last week - despite still being on sick leave - a course that is, by all accounts, much more demanding than anything we do at work.

Anyway, my small team is finishing a project this week so it looks like we will all have to stay (very) late on particular days. My ill colleague has cherry picked his days this week, electing to stay at home on the days that he knows full well will be busy and late! I will have to pick up the slack.

Am I being unreasonable to be annoyed about this? I think that if he is well enough to attend a demanding training course, he is well enough to be back at work full-time. Our boss is the type to complain but not stand up to the person.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now