Interview - what questions might I be asked

(5 Posts)
Sibble Mon 04-Nov-13 07:47:00

I have been shortlisted for an internal promotion. Job has only been advertised internally. I have been advised that the interview will be formal however it is about 20 years since I have been formally interviewed. My jobs since then have been internal promotions or informally appointed/head hunted.

I am sure that interviews will have changed during that time so any advice on what type of questions I might be asked would be appreciated. It is for a team leader post with budgetary responsibilities. I have experience of both pre-children but not recently as I took less stressful jobs while my dss were young (they are now 9 and 13 so I feel able to take on more hours/responsibilities).

Any interview advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Lunaballoon Mon 04-Nov-13 19:29:49

My experience of interviews recently is that when assessing skills - teamwork or leadership, for example, you'll be asked to give examples of when you demonstrated that particular skill.

SteamWisher Mon 04-Nov-13 19:32:35

Go through the competences and brush up on specific examples for each. Look at the job description and again think of how you would perform the role.
What kind of organisation is it? Do you have wider corporate initiatives that you need to be aware of? Is it client facing? What about the budget stuff? Us it a key aspect?

As Luna said, its very common nowadays to be asked to give examples of when you demonstrated a skill. So instead of being asked 'can you work in a team?' you will perhaps be asked 'can you tell me about a time you worked as part of a team?'. To answer these types of questions;
Summarise the situation (briefly) of the example you are using, explain what you did, explain the outcome.
Eg 'I was working on a project that did x y z as part of a team of 10 people. We had to deliver x y z under tight timescales. I worked with other team members to bla bla bla, and as part of a smaller group to bla bla bla. We split into smaller teams to deliver some parts of the project and ensured we allocated tasks to people based on their strengths. Whilst I worked as a team member I also helped lead the team by chairing project our daily meetings. We delivered x y and z earlier than the planned deadline. (You will need a bit more detail and specificity than this!)
To prepare for these q's look at the skills in the job description and think of examples you can use (like the above) to give to demonstrate them. Normally one of your examples can be used to cover more than one skill (eg with the example above I could have used it for leading a team as well).
Common questions could include working as a team or leading a team, coaching an employee, managing conflict, motivating a group, planning a piece of work etc but will depend on the type of role.
Final point, its ok to use examples from your personal life (eg if you are part of a committee, choir or something) and its fine to take time to think through your answer before talking, eg. say 'Im just taking a minute to think of a good example to demonstrate that skill'
Good luck.

Sibble Tue 05-Nov-13 03:06:44

Thanks heaps, this is really useful. A totally different way of asking the questions I am perhaps more used to. I am expecting questions on conflict resolution (had to deal with an issue today with my smallish team), managing peers and the 'company' has undergone two restructures in as many years and is reviewing it's strategic direction so I am also expecting questions about that but really helpful to know that having a heaps of examples/scenarios up my sleeve will help.

I think there is going to be a panel of 4 so quite daunting as well as I know them all (don't want to make a fool of myself!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now