Anyone in the NHS who can give me a few interview tips?

(9 Posts)
LedaOfSparta Sun 03-Nov-13 13:58:22

I've worked in the private sector since qualifying a few years ago. I've got 2 interviews next week, one for scrub and one for recovery in 2 NHS hospitals next week.

Both jobs are band 5, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any ideas what they might ask. I'm generally ok in interviews but have no recent experience of the NHS.

Thank you and much gratitude all round if you can help.smile

I would just go through the PS and make sure I had an example or two for each point
Plus the usual, relevant experience, what you would bring to the role

ACS1980 Sun 03-Nov-13 22:39:12

When I've interviewed for theatre staff (I'm not sure if you're NMC or HPC) but you might want to think how you'd answer questions like - talk through an emergency situation in theatre, what you did, what was your role, is there anything you'd do differently next time; talk me through a mistake you've made and what you learnt from it (good to know how candidates reflect etc.); have you been in a situation where you have had to challenge a surgeon/anaesthetist, what did you do, what was the outcome; tell me about two of your strengths and one weakness; what learning needs will you have if you are offered the role.

HTH

I just recently began working in the NHS after being in the private sector, they were apparently impressed with my knowledge of care pathways, 18 week targets etc. I think if you're coming from the private sector they expect you to not know this so being well researched shows you've thought through the implications of working in the nhs.

Good luck.

LedaOfSparta Tue 05-Nov-13 07:05:49

Thanks all, I'm HPC registered so that's all really useful. I've spent a while researching the hospital and general issues in the NHS so will focus on the more personal questions now.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 05-Nov-13 07:14:53

Have a google of the six Cs. Care, compassion, etc. currently an nhs hot topic. They might ask you what you know about the keogh review, Francis report. Just been able to say that you know they relate to a breakdown in care at certain hospitals and that its something which could happen again. But hopefully with good staffing, good training focusing on the six Cs it wouldn't happen again.

Aaliyah1 Tue 05-Nov-13 07:23:03

Also google 'STAR' questions and answers. They like there situation based questions answered in a specific way.

LedaOfSparta Tue 05-Nov-13 18:18:29

Great stuff, I've been reading up on the Francis report so will research those other suggestions too.

I've just heard on the news about Colchester hospital too.

Mignonette Tue 05-Nov-13 18:23:06

They like evidence of reflective practice which many of the previous posters have given examples of.

An ability to reflect both on your own practice and the application of current legislation is important.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now