Anxiety over job interview

(7 Posts)
Lilliput Sun 03-Nov-13 11:32:35

I am feeling crippled by anxiety over job interview on Wednesday. It is for a permanent midwifery post and I really really want it. The anxiety is horrible, I had a cry and a freak out this morning and really need to get my head down to do some prep but something is holding me back. It's like I have pushed a self destruct button.
Help me get a grip.

flowery Sun 03-Nov-13 11:44:36

Many people are afraid of success to a degree and you've identified that something is holding you back from preparing for this. Getting an interview is a success but going to it is exposing yourself to rejection as well as exposing yourself to the possibility that you might get the job and then you'll have to actually do it and do it well.

Any of that ringing a bell? It's very common if so, however much you might really really want the job. More common in a first job in a new career, or in a job that is a big step up.

None of this may be ringing a bell of course, in which case ignore! It was the "something holding me back" that made me think that.

Anyway, remind yourself that they wouldn't be interviewing you if they didn't think you could do the job. A interview is about reinforcing that belief (not creating it from scratch) and about demonstrating why you are the best person, the best fit for them.

Think about the skills, experience, qualities and attributes they have asked for in the ad/job description/person spec and think of examples of how you can demonstrate those. Write them down and learn them. Describe what the situation was, what you had to do, how you approached it and what the result was (STAR).

Lilliput Sun 03-Nov-13 11:55:33

That is exactly it. I am scared of failure but also scared of stepping up to the plate and doing the job.
I have come into midwifery later in life and the other girls being interviewed are younger and seem soooo good at their job. I question myself all the way and have issues with confidence in my abilities.
Thanks Flowery, I need to focus.

flowery Sun 03-Nov-13 12:11:18

I'm gooood!

wink

Well, I'm no expert on midwifery recruitment but it seems to me that maturity and life experience is a big plus for a midwife, especially in making new mothers/mothers-to-be feel confident and reassured. I'm certain the people who have decided they want to interview you are not seeing your age as a negative at all.

Reassure yourself that what you are feeling is incredibly common. You can do this job as you wouldn't have managed to qualify if you couldn't, and they wouldn't want to interview you if they didn't think you could do a great job. Yes it's scary, but remind yourself why you wanted to go into this career in the first place. Probably to help women at a vulnerable and exciting time in their lives, I imagine. This is your chance to do that!

Lilliput Wed 06-Nov-13 19:38:27

I did all my homework, pushed past that feeling that was holding me back and interviewed well and got the job!!!
Thanks for the pep talk, it genuinely helped x

Willthisworknow Wed 06-Nov-13 20:40:41

Fab well done!

domesticslattern Wed 06-Nov-13 21:33:59

Congratulations! And I'm going to steal Flowery's tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now