Drugs and Alcohol Policy

(5 Posts)
JeanSeberg Thu 31-Oct-13 15:41:56

Does anyone work for a company that has a drugs and alcohol policy which includes random testing? We have this at our company and I've never come across it before.

flowery Thu 31-Oct-13 16:52:45

It's relatively common in some sectors, often where operating machinery/driving or similar are a key requirement of the job.

What kind of job/company is it? Is it a new job? Are you concerned at all?

EBearhug Thu 31-Oct-13 20:37:18

I've been at a couple of companies which say they could do it, but I've never actually known them put it into practice. It's possible they could if they suspected someone of alcohol or other drug abuse, I suppose.

JeanSeberg Fri 01-Nov-13 13:35:44

I've been with the company 8 years, the policy came in about 3 years ago. I agree that employees should be drug and alcohol free at work, it's just the random testing nature of it that doesn't sit well. You receive a phone call on the morning it's taking place with the names of staff that are to be tested and the 'tester' turns up within the hour to carry it out.

EBearhug - we can also test employees that we suspect are under the influence.

I suppose my question was to ask whether random testing happens at other companies, ie without any suspicion, names drawn out of a hat scenario.

I'm asking as I had to dismiss a staff member this week as a result of failing a random test.

Hegsy Fri 01-Nov-13 13:59:28

If its in the contract then company can do it. I worked for an insurance company part time evenings and I was given a medical and drug test before being offered the position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now